camera or video led light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camera or video led light?

Been looking at the two led light available in the eos mag, obviously a big difference in price between the two and just wondered if anybody has experience with either for outdoor photography?

I plan to use it/them exclusively for capturing birds in flight/perched/reflections and after looking at the avalanche of info about flashes and disturbance they may cause (to birds) have opted for the constant light method (as it seems the easiest to learn for a dummy).

The feeding station I use can be quite dark this time of year but is well established with a variety of species and am wondering as I need this light to first eliminate shadows and generally brighten up the scene if just one on the flash mount will do or two spaced either side of the subject. Generally I am taking images about 2 to 3m's away from the subject.

Cheers for any help. Paul

Re: camera or video led light?

I don't know much about led lights although I do use standard desk lamps sometimes for still life in my portable studio/lightbox

Cant see how you would be able to use them for birds in flight though

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Paul,
      I have used Regular flash in wildlife bird photography
      a few times as a fill in light and the birds never seem to notice it at all. This is not true of most mammals who are very aware of flash. If you have a normal flash try it - you might be surprised !
      Hope this helps
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I might try a cheapie off evilbay first just for experimentation - seeing as I am taking photos at close range within a shaded area under tree's, the slight light from these led's was merely to lighten up a specific area.

Comment

ah be careful as it could possibly change your white balance settings even if outdoors .my gut feeling and experience tells me you would be far better off using exposure compensation or even manual metering (thats what its there for) a shaded area is only a form of light you just have to meter for it .
          as an example heres a wren i took before last christmas ,it was under a large bush and that dark a area i could just about make it out through the viewfinder the shot was taken hand held using a 1D3 ,400mm f5.6 lens the exif data reads.
          iso 2000
          1/400th sec
          f5.6
          i feel its far better to show what can be achieved than just to preach about it .hope it helps
          1 and 2/3rds of a stop positive exposure compensation .
          oops i've been spotted by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
          Last edited by the black fox; 20-01-2015, 15:44.

Comment

The "on board camera flash" has also got "life saving" uses- atleast for me. When the Stag (photo posted else where -UK wild life) was about to attack me I use the flash to perhaps stun, surprise the fellow,and give me time to get into my car. The camera was the 60D
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
            X