Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diffuser/softbox/umbrella & shooting table question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diffuser/softbox/umbrella & shooting table question?

I am thinking of trying my hand at some portrait photography and would like to purchase some diffuser/softbox/umbrella type devices that would be suitable to mount a couple of 600EX-RT guns in to take some indoor (and maybe outdoor) portraits with.

I would be looking for some good quality items that would suit the 600EX and not necessarily bottom dollar or home made devices!

A couple of stands would also be nice as would some hints & tips on using them! :)

I am particularly keen on Manfrotto supports as all of my tripod gear comes from them!

I would also like to do a bit of product type photography also so can anyone recommend a good quality shooting table setup as well please?

I would love to have those white (or coloured) backgrounds that seamlessly roll away from the subject with no corners or hard edges to distract from the object with no shadows or creases that I could light with the above.

As a complete newbie I would welcome any hints/tips/advice on this sort of photography.

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

Re: Diffuser/softbox/umbrella & shooting table question?

Hello, I have just seen your thread. unfortunately I don't any experience in this field but I am sure a more knowledgeable member will give you a reply.

Regards
    Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      Hello, I have just seen your thread. unfortunately I don't any experience in this field but I am sure a more knowledgeable member will give you a reply.

Regards
      Nathaniel
      Yes - me too.
      Sounds interesting though - keep us updated on your progress and perhaps post up some examples of pictures you have taken with your kit.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
        I am thinking of trying my hand at some portrait photography and would like to purchase some diffuser/softbox/umbrella type devices that would be suitable to mount a couple of 600EX-RT guns in to take some indoor (and maybe outdoor) portraits with.

I would be looking for some good quality items that would suit the 600EX and not necessarily bottom dollar or home made devices!

A couple of stands would also be nice as would some hints & tips on using them! :)

I am particularly keen on Manfrotto supports as all of my tripod gear comes from them!

I would also like to do a bit of product type photography also so can anyone recommend a good quality shooting table setup as well please?

I would love to have those white (or coloured) backgrounds that seamlessly roll away from the subject with no corners or hard edges to distract from the object with no shadows or creases that I could light with the above.

As a complete newbie I would welcome any hints/tips/advice on this sort of photography.

Thanks & kind regards,
        -=Glyn=-
        Hi Glynn,

What I would recommend to start with is a kit similar to Impact. When I first got into off camera flash photography I bought them and still use them today. However if you plan to use them outdoors, then I would recommend getting Saddle Sandbags, otherwise a gust of wind will have you running after the umbrellas.

For diffusers for on camera flash I use two types. The 1st is a bounce dome. It is very portable and easy to slip into a camera bag. For event shooting I use the Gary Fong Lightshpere.

Hope that helps in getting you started.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom for this very helpful post. I have noted it for myself as well. Will the Gary Fong Lightsphere reach up to the higher ceilings/roofs of cathedrals and churches so that I can use the bounce flash effect?
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I use Lastolite soft boxes and umbrellas worth my 600Ex flashes.They came as kits and have all stands, mounts and fixings included. I've been very pleased with them.
            Next on my list is a back drop, going to check options at the forthcoming photography show.
            Andy

Comment

Thanks Tom for this very helpful post. I have noted it for myself as well. Will the Gary Fong Lightsphere reach up to the higher ceilings/roofs of cathedrals and churches so that I can use the bounce flash effect?
              With the lightsphere you do not need to bounce the light as it creates a softer diffused light

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. That is indeed great news for me. I am always concious and concerned about the flash bouncing off peoples glasses, which more or less spoils the picture.

Comment

Well that was weird. I was only notified about the two replies from Nat and not the others!

Thanks for the advice Tom/Andy.

I'll take a look when I get back.

The show you mention Andy...is that the upcoming NEC Event on 21-24 March?

Thanks & kind regards,
                  -=Glyn=-

Comment

Tom ,I am more involved with taking pictures of groups of people like the Cathedral choir; should I go in for the Lightsphere CLOUD or CLEAR? or does it not matter which model I choose?

Thanks
                    Nat
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 04-03-2015, 19:29.

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
                      The show you mention Andy...is that the upcoming NEC Event on 21-24 March?

Thanks & kind regards,
                      -=Glyn=-
                      Yes, that's the one.
                      Andy
                      Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

I also highly recommend the Speed lighters handbook by Syl Arena - the updated version is out in about a month.

Comment

Tom ,I am more involved with taking pictures of groups of people like the Cathedral choir; should I go in for the Lightsphere CLOUD or CLEAR? or does it not matter which model I choose?

Thanks
                          Nat
                          Hi Nat,

I used the clouded one. No experience with the clear one

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. Buying the clouded one immediately.

Comment

Working...
                            X