Speedlite 420ex problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedlite 420ex problem

I'm trying to use a Speedlite 420ex on a Canon 50d. The flash fires, but the autozoom position indicator on the back is just flashing on 50 regardless of the focusing distance.
    Am I doing something stupid, or is there a problem with the flash or my settings?
    I don't even know whether the light should flash, or just remain lit?

Re: Speedlite 420ex problem

The auto zoom feature indicates the focal length of the lens in use, not the focusing distance. Not sure if the indicator flashing means anything.
    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

What lens(es) are you using it with? As John say the autozoom indicates the focal length of the lens attached to the camera (or approximate focal length when using a zoom). When you change lenses or focal length on a zoom the elements inside the flashhead move automatically - usually you can hear them. Does this happen when you change lens or focal length? If not then first thing to check is that the flash is properly located, I've had similar issues with my 430EX and 540EZ guns and a quick wiggle or re-attchment of the gun has usually been enough to cure it.

Are you by anychance using bounce flash - head tilted or turned? The autozoom goes to 50mm and stays there in this case.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post

Are you by anychance using bounce flash - head tilted or turned? The autozoom goes to 50mm and stays there in this case.
        I'd forgotten about that, and the indicator blinks on 50 as well.
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
          What lens(es) are you using it with? As John say the autozoom indicates the focal length of the lens attached to the camera (or approximate focal length when using a zoom). When you change lenses or focal length on a zoom the elements inside the flashhead move automatically - usually you can hear them. Does this happen when you change lens or focal length? If not then first thing to check is that the flash is properly located, I've had similar issues with my 430EX and 540EZ guns and a quick wiggle or re-attchment of the gun has usually been enough to cure it.

Thank you both for your comments. Yes, I had got the flash angled, which explains why it is stuck at 50. I've just altered it and the lights follow the focus of my 24-70 zoom lens. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X