Ring-flash "vignetting"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring-flash "vignetting"

I recently bought a cheap ring-flash set-up to tide me over until I can buy a proper one, such as Canon's MR-14 EX II macrolite. When I opened the box I found the manual warned of "vignetting" with lenses < 50 mm focal length (it actually means that the edges of the rig encroach on the field of view - not quite the same thing, more annoying, in fact). There was no mention of this in the advertising blurb.

I can't use it with my 17 - 55 mm lens even on the longest setting, although it works OK on the 100 mm macro lens which is the one I envisage using it with the most.

Does this happen with more expensive macro flash guns, e.g. the Canon ones?

Re: Ring-flash &quot;vignetting&quot;

I've got a Nissin RF but I've only used it with a 100mm.. I would say using a W/A with the flash could have issues depending how wide you go but with mine I can extend the rings outwards so probably going past the field of view of the W/A - but its something I've never tried
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

A ring flash is mainly designed for macro work with dedicated macro lenses which are from 50mm upwards

If you are looking for a cheap and good ring flash then the Yongnuo MR14 rip of is worth considering at a fraction of the Canon price

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I like my Ring Flashes to be a complete ring as I think it looks better reflected in an eye. This isn't that relevant for macro use I'd imagine, unless you are an optician...

Oh and I'd forgotten about the Yongnuo YN-14EX, thanks for reminding me!
          Last edited by DrJon; 02-05-2015, 20:13.

Comment

Working...
          X