Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash head positions

Hi there,

I wonder, what is the difference between the positions of the 'head' of the flash gun. You can turn/switch the head to different positions. front (up, left (up), right (up), straight back etc.

For which kind of setting/photo do you use what kind of position?

(I have the Canon Speedlite 430 EX II)

Thanks in advance!
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Re: Flash head positions

The idea of moving the flash head is so that you can bounce the light so getting a much softer flash, obviously this only works if you've got something to bounce it off like a ceiling - Try doing some tests in a room by just photographing a subject ( doesn't have to be human) and watch the way the shadows change by tilting the head
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I went to a gig last night and was quite intrigued to note that someone (probably the official photographer) had four speedlites attached to the frame at the front of the stage, all with their heads pointing to the ceiling.

At various times over the evening, he seemed to be triggering them and at other times just using the ambient lighting (which was actually quite bright for a gig). The flash didn't seem to bother the band any at all - I'd like to see his photographs, because any time I've done gig photography I've been at the mercy of the band's lighting which can be unpredictable.
      Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

flash at a gig! doesn't that kill ambient light ? with a set up like that Jock I presume the guy knows what he's doing but it seems odd, not unless he had the power right down
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I was very surprised, but the setup he used was quite inventive and as far as I can tell, there was only minimum light actually falling on the performers. It seemed bright enough to me in the audience at least!
          Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

If the ceiling is too high or there is no convenient wall you can always use a reflector or a sheet of white card to bounce the flash to soften it up.

There are also a number of modifiers that do a similar job, Lumiquest for one, I've had one of their Pocket bouncers for years. I now have a FlashPipe which is a whole lot light than the Lumiquest.
            Flickr
            Web Page
            Instagram
            Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X