Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

760D and YN468 problems.

Morning all.
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas, and all the best for the New Year.
    About four months ago I took the plung and upgraded my 1000D to a new 760D. I am very happy with this new camera, only problem I am having is with my existing Yongnuo YN468 flash.
    It flashes when I take a photo, but it must be out of sync with the camera as the image looks like there has been no flash.
    If I change anything on the flash ie mode, zoom setting output etc. the camera picks it up in the external flash settings.
    The built in flash works perfectly OK, and the YN468 was working OK with my 1000D last time I used it.
    Is anyone using this Camera/flash combination? Or can anyone confirm that this flash is compatible with this camera.
    I'm a bit unsure where to go next.
    I gave my 1000D to one of my grandsons so am going to call across and see him with the flash just to make sure the flash is still working on that camera.
    Many thanks for any suggestions how I can proceed.
    Malcolm.

Just tried the flash on the 1000D and it works OK. Mmmmmm.
    Last edited by malgpz900; 31-12-2015, 13:17. Reason: Update.
    760D
    EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
    Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
    EF 70-300 IS USM
    Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
    YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Re: 760D and YN468 problems.

I think I may have a fault hot shoe. Does anyone know of a way of checking the functuality of a hot shoe?
    Malcolm.
    760D
    EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Have you checked the settings in the menu to make sure the external flash is actually set to fire?
      Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul,
        Yes the external fash it on in the menu. The weird thing is in P mode the camera sets the apeture and shutter speed for flash, the flash does flash, but the images is as if with out flash. In built flash works perfectly OK.
        I am trying to get my head around this to confirm there is a fault on camera. Flash works as it should on my old camera.
        Many thanks,
        Malcolm.
        760D
        EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Some sample images.
          All 1/60 F2.8 and ISO1600

With Internal flash

With No flash

External flash

External +3ev

External flash menu when attached to camera

The external flash was going off when I took the photos.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
          Last edited by malgpz900; 02-01-2016, 15:18.
          760D
          EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

hmmmm try playing with the exposure compensation with the flash fitted ,i know it says ETTL but sometimes you need to dial in what you want if that makes sense ,also have you tried bouncing it off the ceiling to make the flash work harder .

i have a yongnuo flash and if my memory serves me correctly you have to do something to the menu IN THE FLASHGUN to get it to function correctly ,do you still have your manual ??? so i think this is purely a compatibility issue not a problem

right just reading through my manual i have the 565ex looks like it could be a couple of reasons you either have ETTL mode set wrong on your flashgun i.e manual or multi instead of ETTL or there is a sub menu within your camera menu in the flash control menu that need setting in "C.FN.SETTING " usually at the far right end of your menu

hope this helps
            Last edited by the black fox; 02-01-2016, 16:02.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              hmmmm try playing with the exposure compensation with the flash fitted ,i know it says ETTL but sometimes you need to dial in what you want if that makes sense ,also have you tried bouncing it off the ceiling to make the flash work harder .

i have a yongnuo flash and if my memory serves me correctly you have to do something to the menu IN THE FLASHGUN to get it to function correctly ,do you still have your manual ??? so i think this is purely a compatibility issue not a problem

right just reading through my manual i have the 565ex looks like it could be a couple of reasons you either have ETTL mode set wrong on your flashgun i.e manual or multi instead of ETTL or there is a sub menu within your camera menu in the flash control menu that need setting in "C.FN.SETTING " usually at the far right end of your menu

hope this helps
              Many thanks for the suggestions.
              The camera and flash seem to be communicating with each other. If I change any settings on the flash gun the external flash menu on the camera picks it up.
              Yes I have the original flash instructions, been through it a couple of times but nothing seems to jump out as needing changing.
              I've tried altering the exposure compensation but does not make any difference, the last photo of the printer is at +3. I've tried various settings without success.
              I've tried bouncing the flash off the ceiling, but no difference.
              I've had been through the External flash C.fn settings, I've just tried to go back in and it is now saying incompatible flash????
              Just tried again and am back in the settings.
              Just tried again and incompatible flash error showing.
              Think I have found my problem.
              I have a call out to Yongnuo support about compatibility issues. I'll wait until they come back to me and see what they say.
              Back in again. There is a setting No.5 for Flash metering mode but it only allows me to select 0 for E-TTL ll. Other options are TTL, External metering: Auto or Manual. Nothing else seems relevant to my problem. The far right hand three menu settings I cannot alter.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
              760D
              EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Just a thought, try putting the flash into Manual and you camera in Manual at 1/160 f8 ISO 200

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
                  Just a thought, try putting the flash into Manual and you camera in Manual at 1/160 f8 ISO 200

Alan
                  Just tried that Alan. Flash on Manual, camera on Manual flash, at 1/160 F8 and ISO 200 nothing no flash at all. Camera is picking up the manual flash in the external flash settings.
                  Malcolm.
                  760D
                  EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by malgpz900 View Post
                    Just tried that Alan. Flash on Manual, camera on Manual flash, at 1/160 F8 and ISO 200 nothing no flash at all. Camera is picking up the manual flash in the external flash settings.
                    Malcolm.
                    Should it not be working in manual mode regardless of camera/flashgun combo?
                    760D
                    EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

I don't understand when you say camera on manual flash, I meant put the camera into Manual with the mode dial set to M
                      Yes it should be working as you say, the only thing is how old is the YN468 model (not your particular gun but the model) as the 760D Is the latest camera and it all could be a compatability problem
                      Sorry can't be of more help

Alan

Comment

Yes sorry camera in M mode.
                        Just been to local friendly camera shop and tried a Sunpack flash on it and it worked perfectly, both manual flash and ttl.
                        Looks like new flash on the way.
                        Thanks for all suggestions.
                        Malcolm.
                        760D
                        EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

It is strange that you should also have problems with a YN flash gun. I am also having problems with my YN565 Speedlite with the 6D & the 100D The image is always very under-exposed. I get better images when I use the green square setting. I am anyway following the advice given by members to my specific thread about the YN 565, which you might like to have a look at.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Think I have found the problem with yours nat ,by playing with mine and helpful to as I have a friends wedding freebie job Saturday ,and before the don't work for free mob jump in ,the guys getting married as he only has a short while to live the big c strikes again

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              It is strange that you should also have problems with a YN flash gun. I am also having problems with my YN565 Speedlite with the 6D & the 100D The image is always very under-exposed. I get better images when I use the green square setting. I am anyway following the advice given by members to my specific thread about the YN 565, which you might like to have a look at.
                              I must admit I was beginning to think I had not set something up correctly in the camera as I've only had the camera a couple of months.
                              Confusing me was the fact that the flashgun works OK on my old camera.
                              The clincher was when I tried a different flashgun in the local camera shop and worked perfectly OK.
                              New flash works perfectly OK, as expected.
                              Malcolm.
                              ps I took your recommendation and ordered a new Kenko HD 1.4x tc. Their website says compatible with my camera and 70-300 lense. Should be here an monday.
                              760D
                              EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Working...
                              X