400mm F5.6 USM L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

400mm F5.6 USM L

Anyone have any experience with this lens ?
    I know it is an older lens and has no IS , the question I have is do you think it will be workable with a 55d in upper ISO/noise terms .
    Thinking it would need a minimum of 1000th shutter speed for handhold , but I do only shoot on the nicer days whilst hiking the moors .

Any views would be very appreciated , thanks .

Re: 400mm F5.6 USM L

Foggy I don't have this lens but do know people who have it and they love it, they use it on 5D2 and 40D's but I believe that it should work just as well on the 550D. They use it mainly hand held for either bird photography or motor racing

Comment

Yeah used to have one of these - optically it's pretty good. No IS does out some people off but not having all the extra motors in makes it much lighter, more portable and hence easy to handhold - no problem at 1/1000, easy to hold at 1/250 and you should be ok at much slower speeds with a bit of practice. The shot here was taken with that lens - as you can see it's reasonably sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
        ....as you can see it's reasonably sharp!
        Sharp, I'll say it's sharp - Anyone got any Elastoplast?
        Bob Turner
        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

It's a stunning little lens, sharp as a razor, good value, light and very easy to use.

It hasn't got IS, because it doesn't need it. IS only minimises camera shake ............... not subject movement, so shoot above 1/400 sec and you should be ok. Your suggested 1/1000 sec will give you an added safety factor.

Hope that helps.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
            Sharp, I'll say it's sharp - Anyone got any Elastoplast?
            Haha Bob!

It's a grand wee lens and much underrated - while not quite as versatile as the 100-400 IQ is better (simply because any zoom has to make a series of compromises, a prime doesn't). Check out Ian here - selling it at a damned good price

Comment

Thank you all for advice and experience :)
              I think I will be happy with this forum indeed .

Comments like "It hasn't got IS, because it doesn't need it. IS only minimises camera shake ............... not subject movement" , really warm my heart in comparison to DPReview where you are treated like a leper for having the 70-200 non IS .

Great stuff , now I am going to sell my Voc AC 30 for certain ....... ooo 400mm :)

Thanks again all <3

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
                ......Check out Ian here - selling it at a damned good price
                I bought my 400 from Ian in December at a very good price. You will also have a Canon UK warranty as Kerso supplies you with a UK receipt and this is acknowledged by Canon. Also, Ian is a great guy to deal with and will answer any questions you may have.

Go For It Foggy :)
                Bob Turner
                Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Cheers for the link and encouragement , I think I just heard my AC30 cry out in the darkness :P

Comment

Hi Foggy

Just wondering of you went for the 400mm after all, and if so, what do you make of it. I'm considering it for my 500d.

Christian
                    http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Foggy

Just wondering of you went for the 400mm after all, and if so, what do you make of it. I'm considering it for my 500d.

Christian
                      http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X