Wide angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide angle

Im looking to get a w/a lens and have my eye on the Sigma 10-20 (cant afford the Canon!lol)...anyone got one and what are your thoughts on this piece of glass? I look forward to hearing any comment you may have and point me in the right direction.
    regards-Robin

Re: Wide angle

I have the Tamron 10-24. It spends alot of time on my 60D and I've had some really good results from it. The IQ isn't as good as my 24-105L (no suprise!). But I prefer the smaller lens due to the type of photos I take.
    All this may change soon, as my wife has just bought the Canon 17-40L for my birthday.
    Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Robin, I have got the Sigma 10-20. A very well built and good lens with little difference in image quality between this lens & the Canon (an opinion of a very experienced member). However it is a difficult lens to master as I am struggling with it, to control the usual distortion with a super wide. However it is excellent for Landscapes, giving a very wide sweep.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

hh,

I have just seen your comment on my first shot of a big Lincolnshire sky this year .. here are few more with the siggy you may have missed from last year...

Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
        EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys...i think I just may be placing an order for a siggy this week. great shots Graydon, thanks for that.
          robin

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
            hh,

I have just seen your comment on my first shot of a big Lincolnshire sky this year .. here are few more with the siggy you may have missed from last year...

http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...sthorpe-Castle
            Graydon, thanks for the links. A great encouragement to me. Hoping to go to Anglesey this week and I will take my siggy as well.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I looked long and hard at these two, opting for the Canon only because I managed to get it a price that was only £40 more. At the point the slightly better IQ and wider aperture made it worth it. However, it was a tight decision, and reviews at the time rated the Siggy very near to the Canon. If you can afford the difference comfortably or you can cut a similarly good deal, then I'd go with the Canon, if not the Sigma is an excellent alternative.
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Graydon, I hadnt joined the forum when you posted those siggy images. lovely cracking shots!
                regards
                Donald

Comment

My 2p worth...

My 10-20mm Sigma EX is the f/4-5.6 version, and IQ's not great at anything but it's widest setting. If you can, go for the f/3.5 version which is supposed to be better, of course it's also more expensive and I saw a deal on the Canon 10-22mm lens for not a lot more recently.
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Well I sold my bits and bobs on ebay and got enough for the siggy (f4) from Kerso. Just couldnt afford the canon. So far it looks good but have yet to use it in anger - maybe this weekend -Ill keep you posted.

Comment

I've been looking at the Canon 10-22 and the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 but could anyone offer an opinion on the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 as another option ?
                      Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

BTW Canon UK currently have £60 cashback on the 10-22, which makes it about £540, so not cheap but better than before. I'm not sure if that would apply to lenses from Ian Kerr ("Flash Camera" on E-Bay), who someone suggested come with a receipt that qualifies for Canon UK warranty repair. He sells them for £549. Note I've never bought anything from him, just heard favorable reports on this forum. (I would assume they wouldn't, but who knows - I'd like to know the answer as a friend is after a 70-200 II. Actually I'll ask him...)
                        John

Comment

My own previous research says that the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is the pick of the Tokina lenses and better than the Tamron version.
                          Quite a bit of vignetting at 11mm @ f/2.8 which is resolved when stopping down to f/4.
                          Chromatic Aberrations (CAs) are quite high but easily corrected in post processing.
                          Resolution is very good at all focal lengths and peak when stopping down to f/4.
                          The lens is well built.

If I needed an UWA lens then the Tokina is certainly one for consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                            I'm not sure if that would apply to lenses from Ian Kerr ("Flash Camera" on E-Bay), who someone suggested come with a receipt that qualifies for Canon UK warranty repair.
                            It does. I got cash back on two lenses bought from him, so no problem. Makes it even better value.

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                            My own previous research says that the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is the pick of the Tokina lenses and better than the Tamron version.
                            Quite a bit of vignetting at 11mm @ f/2.8 which is resolved when stopping down to f/4.
                            Chromatic Aberrations (CAs) are quite high but easily corrected in post processing.
                            That just sounds to me like a lot of problems to be sorted out later. f/2.8 brings in a weight penalty too, the Tokina being almost twice the weight of the Canon for the sake of 2/3rds of a stop which you probably won't ever use.

My research at the time went:
                            Canon if you can afford it or get a good deal (I did).
                            Sigma if you can't.
                            Bit of a gap.
                            Everything else.
                            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I think I'm agreeing with you, here's the answer I got:
                              "John, all items I sell come with Canon UK warranty valid in UK with UK invoice Yes you can claim the cashback. Ian. "
                              Which presumably makes a 10-22 from him £489.
                              Again, never dealt with him, but I might pick up an extender after that...
                              John
                              P.S. it presumably means his 70-200 f2.8 II is £1400
                              Last edited by DrJon; 31-03-2012, 15:33.

Comment

Working...
                              X