Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I return the 16-35ii and keep the 17-40 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I return the 16-35ii and keep the 17-40 ??

I bought a 16-35Lii and was suprised at the flare I was getting (the lens hood was being used). After some research, including with Canon UK, it was concluded that the 17-40L was much more flare resistant.

This also helped http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R....aspx?Lens=271

I was intending to use the 16-35 as a wide angle walkabout lens on the 5d while keeping the 17-55f2.8 on the 7d, both during teh day and night. Then I found the flare with teh 16-35. I also have the 10-22 lens

I bought a 17-40L a couple of days ago, and have 2 weeks to decide if I return the 16-35 or not.

I tend to shoot handheld (day and night) at car race meetings, while travelling (including night) and some museums (not always the best of lisght)

So almost ruling the 16-35 out as a daytime walkabout due to flare, in the real world when and how would I benefit from the 16-35?? Should I return it??

maybe better at night, unless the lights will cause flare (seems to happen on 24-105 sometimes)
    maybe better in the museums?

I am travelling to Norway / Sweden in the summer and would hate to miss a photo due to not having teh right lens with me.

Thinking aloud really, and after advice / opinions from those that have / had both or have been in a similar dliemna.

Many thanks
    Last edited by colintf; 13-04-2012, 18:12.

Re: Should I return the 16-35ii and keep the 17-40 ??

I had the 24-105 for a few year and have the 16-35 2.8L Mk2

You can see flare at time of shooting, although its easy to miss it.
    The way round that is to always assume you'll get flare if you point your lens at, or in the direction of the sun or other bright light sources.
    Then it's a case of adjusting your compostion to elimate it, and or use your hand to shade the lens without getting them in the frame.

I can't help with your decision, I prefer the 16-35, it's your money, and you stand to save 5 or 6 hundred pounds buying a 17-40
    Trev

Comment

many thanks for the tips and advice Trev

Colin

Comment

If you are into wa then the 17-40 is good when stopped to f/5.6 or f/8. If this is on the 5D then the 10-22 is duplicated and there is big overlap on the 17-55.

I would be inclined to get a wa on the 5D and use the 24-105 on the 7D
        ef-r

Comment

many thanks for the tips and advice Trev

Colin
          You're welcome Colin.
          I have to add I have a small sensor camera, so the 16-35 is like a standard 2.8 zoom lens 25-56 for me.
          On your 5D it would be ultra wide - not a first choice - walk around, or general purpose lens for me.

I'd say Brain would be able to advise you better.
          Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
            You're welcome Colin.
            I have to add I have a small sensor camera, so the 16-35 is like a standard 2.8 zoom lens 25-56 for me.
            On your 5D it would be ultra wide - not a first choice - walk around, or general purpose lens for me.

I'd say Brain would be able to advise you better.
            Trev
            Was thinking 5d + 16-35 (or the 17-40) paired with the 7d & 17-55f2.8is would cover most things.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
              If you are into wa then the 17-40 is good when stopped to f/5.6 or f/8. If this is on the 5D then the 10-22 is duplicated and there is big overlap on the 17-55.

I would be inclined to get a wa on the 5D and use the 24-105 on the 7D
              many thanks.

I find the 17-55 really good, especially in low light. If only it fitted onto the 5d as well!!

Comment

Ah Colin, I didn't see you had a full frame and a 7D
                I've made many purchase mistakes mainly down to tactical thinking rather strategic.
                Prabably the last person to give advice.

Since you have 2 weeks you should get out work them to death see what's best for you, but if your like me the period before a holiday is always too busy :-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                  Ah Colin, I didn't see you had a full frame and a 7D
                  I've made many purchase mistakes mainly down to tactical thinking rather strategic.
                  Prabably the last person to give advice.

Since you have 2 weeks you should get out work them to death see what's best for you, but if your like me the period before a holiday is always too busy :-)

Trev
                  its always good to get other opinions Trev.

Thanks
                  Colin

Comment

Did you buy the lens yet? It's been a while since this post has been active. I own the 16-35 and the most I can input is that the f2.8 and extra mm in the bottom end make a large difference. I compared the angles when purchasing my UWA but not so much the IQ. I can say that the 16-35 f2.8mk2 does vignette and distort a little but based on it's reviews I imagine it's still better than most in the UWA category. The 17-40 gets great reviews but hard to say how much it will impress you. I have not noticed a lot of flare with mine and I hardly ever put the hood on, I think it's because I never shoot towards the sun - never happy with those shots when I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X