24-105L problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-105L problem....

My Canon 50D + 24-105L combination is giving "Error code 0; Communication problem between camera and lens; Clean contacts".
    I've cleaned them - no difference. When pressing the shutter button it focuses, the lens diaphragm closes, the shutter fires but then the lens diaphragm doesn't open up again and the error code is displayed. The diaphragm then opens only when the camera is switched off.
    All other lenses work fine on the 50D, but the 24-105 gives error code 099 on my 20D body. I assume, therefore, that this is a lens problem - should it wing its way somewhere for repair?
    Any suggestions as to a repairer good with lenses?
    Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: 24-105L problem....

Hi Chris,

Yes, i does sound like a problem with the lens. I usually send anything requiring service or repair to Canon at Elstree. The following gives a list of approved repairers - Clickable
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
      Hi Chris,

Yes, i does sound like a problem with the lens. I usually send anything requiring service or repair to Canon at Elstree. The following gives a list of approved repairers - Clickable
      I had a lens repaied (17-55f2.8) and was amazed to find that Canon themselves at Elstree were considerably chepaer than the other approved repairers!

Comment

Similar problem with mine. It regained the communicatin but wouldn't lock focus - you could hear the motor hunting.

Currently at Lehman's, awaiting an update.
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

One thing to try before you send it off - grab a normal pencil eraser and lightly rub over the contacts, blow clean with a rocket blower etc.

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

In days gone by, rubber ones were for pencil and green rubber were for pens. The green ones were harder and more abrasive and these are the ideal ones for cleaning lens and body contacts. Wipe vigorously with a lens cleaning cloth afterwards for full benefit.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I had the same problem with my 17-85 last year - had to send it to Lehmans and cost me £100 to fix

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

I am interested in this as I also have a 24-105 lens. Did anyone tell you what the problem was- contacts,internal or what?
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Gave the contacts a thorough cleaning. No problem with any other lenses, same problem mounting it on another camera. Went away last Monday, due back in '7-10 days, so hopefully end of this week. I'm guessing some sort of servo problem, but I'm taking the opportunity for a full service while it's away.

Meant I had to photograph the Wizard of Oz tonight without it. Oh, I did miss it! Come back to me, old friend!
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I will follow this with interest as I have been saving for my next lens, my first L lens, and I had decided on the 24-105. Should I be worried?
                    “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                    http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mazzie View Post
                      Should I be worried?
                      No. It's a top lens and not prone to problems. Chris has just had some bad luck, which could happen to any of us.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Agree - the 24-105 is probably one of the most used bits of glass in the canon arsenal, a real gem for a 'walk around' lens

.DAVID.
                        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

It's a great lens, I've no qualms about recommending it. An electical fault (possible sparked off by it being knocked over some time ago). I can trace the origin of the fault back quite a long way because I remember it locking up on me while at Portmerion 18 months ago and it's done it a couple of times since suggesting something was loose. I wonder too if that's the reason it wasn't as good at focusing in low light on the lesser camera.

It's now had a full service (£162) and no extra bits required and is on it's way back to me so it should be like having a new lens again.

Comment

Hi Chris,

I had exactly the same problem with this lens earlier this year. I took it to my local canon dealer who was not at all surprised and diagnosed the problem immediately, replacement diaphragm required. With VAT cost me £140 and all has been well since. I searched other forums at the time and found that this is a surprisingly common fault! I wasn't too upset as I have owned the lens for five years and it has had extensive use. Good luck with the repair.

Andy

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I tried rubber for contact cleaning and then a soft cloth moistened with contact cleaning liquid (usually isopropyl alcohol?) all to no avail.
                              Contacted one of the approved repairers and, indeed, "sticky diaphragm" seems to be the diagnosis with a bill of around £211 (will seek other quotes) for a new diaphragm assembly (including a general clean, service and calibrate).
                              Is it worth it? Well, having used an old EF35-70 or an EFS18-55 for a few days the answer is a very definite yes! I think the 24-105 is an ace lens!
                              Cheers, Chris.
                              Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                              X