500D with EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500D with EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

Hello there, I wonder if you can help me?

I'm currently using a 500d (which I'm very happy with) and for the money I paid, I'm really satisfied with the performance and the IQ that it gives me. A burst in RAW can yield 6-7 shots, which I am satisfied with and, well, more importantly, I cannot afford a 7D (yet!)

I shoot wildlife and I'm using the 55-250 IS, budget lens which has performed really well. When you consider that I've been using it for a year as a wildlife lens, I'm really pleased with some of the images I've been able to obtain.

But, I want to move my images to a better level, i.e. more focal length, better IQ - I want to be serious about building a portfolio of shots that I'd be proud to show people.

So, the 500D is a companion for the next few years, and I have been advised that the lens should be bought first, and a new camera later. So, for wildlife, I'm almost 100 per cent decided on the EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, having looked at work from people with similar set ups, i.e. 400 and the EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, and so I'd love your advice:

1. Will I be able to shoot handheld and still get good results, baring in mind that the lens has no IS? I love the freedom in shooting hand held, so will the 400mm allow me to do this?

2. 500D. Will this be truly compatible with the lens? I realise that I'm teaming entry-level equipment with a more advanced lens.

3. Do you know any reputable dealers who are cheaper than the £1089 that Jessops are charging?

I'm going to shot up now because this is getting a little long-winded!

Thank you for any advice.
    http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Re: 500D with EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

Hi, these are my thoughts, the lens is a good one, I have one and use it quite a lot. It is light and you should have no problems hand holding this lens, as for the lack of IS typically you would be shooting wildlife at a high shutter speed 1/500 and well above so there is no real need for IS it would not add anything only weight.

You can always look for second hand lenses from the MPB link at the top of the forum website or another option would be to look Ian Kerr's site http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-t...utofocus-lens/ this is where I got my lens from, cheap and first class service.

Yes it should work well with your existing camera until you feel the need to upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
      Hi, these are my thoughts, the lens is a good one, I have one and use it quite a lot. It is light and you should have no problems hand holding this lens, as for the lack of IS typically you would be shooting wildlife at a high shutter speed 1/500 and well above so there is no real need for IS it would not add anything only weight.

You can always look for second hand lenses from the MPB link at the top of the forum website or another option would be to look Ian Kerr's site http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-t...utofocus-lens/ this is where I got my lens from, cheap and first class service.

Yes it should work well with your existing camera until you feel the need to upgrade
      Muscat, thank you very much indeed for your reply, I really appreciate your advice, especially as you use the lens. Many thanks.

Comment

The 400mm is a top lens. Buy one quickly before Canon realise how good it is and double the price.

It doesn't have IS because you don't need it. Image stabilisation only reduces camera shake .........it can't do anything about subject movement and as you will nearly always be shooting above 1/500sec (as Muscat suggested), you don't need IS. Why pay for something you don't need?

Handholding is easy. Tuck your ellows tightly into your chest and swivel from the waist. It's smooth and tireless and exactly what I do to handhold a 500mm f4.

The only thing you will be annoyed with about the lens is ............................ you didn't buy it sooner.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          The 400mm is a top lens. Buy one quickly before Canon realise how good it is and double the price.

It doesn't have IS because you don't need it. Image stabilisation only reduces camera shake .........it can't do anything about subject movement and as you will nearly always be shooting above 1/500sec (as Muscat suggested), you don't need IS. Why pay for something you don't need?

Handholding is easy. Tuck your ellows tightly into your chest and swivel from the waist. It's smooth and tireless and exactly what I do to handhold a 500mm f4.

The only thing you will be annoyed with about the lens is ............................ you didn't buy it sooner.

Colin
          Oh, great tip on the hand-holding Colin - thank you very much. I am, absolutely convinced it's the right choice now. Love the comment about 'the only annoying thing about the lens'!

Thank you for the advice.

Comment

He, he.

We'll look forward to seeing your results with the 400mm.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Hi - if you want any further convincing the shot here was taken 3 years or so ago with the 400mm f5.6 on my much loved and sadly departed 40D - for the money it's a great lens and as Colin says IS is not needed. Of course without IS the lens is smaller and lighter

Comment

Both Dee and I have a 300 f4 and 1.4x and it is our most used combo for wildlife and consistantly produces excellent results. So comparing with the 400 f5.6, with the converter you have a 420 f5.6, a slightly better reach and IS if and when you need it and without the converter you have a super 300 f4, OK may be a little more expensive than the 400f5.6 but you effectively get 2 lenses for the price of 1

Another point to bear in mind, whatever one you decide on is that they are both heavier than your current 55-250 and the 500D being a small and light camera (compred to the 7d and 1 series etc), you may find you need a grip for the camera to give a good balance

Stan
                Last edited by Stan; 26-04-2012, 11:24.
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Working...
                X