Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-105mm Sticky Aperture

Hi,

I was talking to a sales guy today about the Canon 24-105mm and he said that this lens can suffer from a sticky aperture during the course of it's life and recommended the 24-70mm F2.8 lens.

The 24-105mm is a great price at the moment with the £90 cashback, but I don't want to purchase a dud lens.

He also said that Canon won't ever admit there's a problem with the lens and if you get the issue after the warranty expires then it'll cost to get it repaired.

So - how serious is the issue? Anybody had a lens with this problem? He's put my off buying this lens now!

Re: 24-105mm Sticky Aperture

An excellent lens in my opinion. I have had not problem. I am sure other members will also chip in and confirm.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Had my 24-105 for a few years now. Probably the lens I use most and is generally the one left on the camera. No problems to date and the image quality is very acceptable for the price.

Gelert

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        An excellent lens in my opinion. I have had not problem. I am sure other members will also chip in and confirm.
        Yes that's what all the reviews say. I have googled the issue and found a few links to the fault...just wondered what the real deal was with EOS forum members.

The sales bloke has really put me off this lens now - although I really think he was trying to sell me the 24-70mm F2.8 as he even took me to the till and looked up the stock on the computer...

"Ohh - we have 12 coming in and 11 are allocated but I could get one here tomorrow...." Yes mate - that's a sales tactic that won't work on me - he really got my goat when we started down that line.

Comment

Hi. Do see the thread "24-105L problem I started a few days ago.
          Despite the current problem with mine I wouldn't be without it - super lens.
          Cheers, Chris.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

I have had one for about a year and it is the lens that is used as my everyday walkabout lens, it has been great so far with no problems.

Comment

Must be the drought that's caused an outbreak. Sounds like the same problem as mine. Full service and repair by Lehmans £162. That's still a fair saving over the 24-70 even after repair.
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Not that I am suggesting that this is the case in your instance, but there are often manufacurers incentives to sales staff to push their products, or specific products. It does cross my mind that with the announcement of the 24 - 70mm f2.8 L MKII, there is probably plenty of current model stock on the shelves that needs shifting.

A couple of years ago, huge numbers of Sony Alpha's were sold on the back of sales incentives. I have had many conversations with previous Sony Owners that later changed to Canon. Their explanation was always the very persuasive salesman stating that the Sony was superior to Canon and Nikon.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

No problem here. Although I've had it only about 6 months, it sits on my 7D most of the time as a walkabout lens, is used most days and has been in some pretty messy conditions (damp rucksacks on dog-walks, etc.) It's a great lens, and not nearly as heavy as the 24-70.

Comment

Despite all what I have said very favourably about this lens, I am still reading this thread with much interest. Thanks for all your posts.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                    X