Lens Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Problem

I have a 28 - 135 is lens and for some reason it has started to malfunction.
    The autofocus works sometimes and then at other times it fails. During these time of failure you are unable to focus manually as well.
    What i would like to know is what is causing this problem and is it worth getting it repaired and does anyone have any idea what the repair may cost. I dont use the lens but i dont really want to throw it away especially if a repair is not to expensive.
    Thanks

Re: Lens Problem

I am a bit alarmed to read about all these lens problems a I have been into photography since the 1950's and graduated from the Kodak,Practica, Pentax ,Olympus and on to Canon, and I have never had any problems with my lenses or cameras. Perhaps it is because I am a hobby photography and never ever hammer my kit beyond recognition. When ever the weather is bad I use my point and shoot (Canon), which I can nicely "cuddle" and keep warm under my clothing, rain coat etc. you might like to see some of my pics taken with my P&S in the Niagara falls shots. i went in the Maid of the mist boat right into the spray from the N.Falls and suffered no damage to my P&S. My brother took his Camcorder and it packed up in the mist and spray- I believe it was condensation
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Steve, I had a usm motor go when I had one of these.

Quite a common fault, cost me £55 +Vat about 5 years ago.

Trev

Comment

I had a similar fault on a 135mm f2 lens, Lehmanns quoted me £162, which included a clean/service, I think that is their box standard price for most lens repairs?
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I have a repuatble Lens / camara repair service - they are used by insurance companies etc - not canon approved and they've never sought any approval.
          They are fast and reliable and always fix the problem.

For a lens worth £300; £162 is a hard pill to swallow, maybe OK - £162 for a £700+ lens like the 135mm

Trev

Comment

Trevoreast what sort of price would you repair this lens for.
            Thanks Steve

Comment

I have a repuatble Lens / camara repair service - they are used by insurance companies etc
              Very sorry Steve, I meant to say I've used them, not I have a repair service : Camserve - East Sussex

Trev

Comment

Working...
              X