To lock on to focus quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To lock on to focus quickly

Boat Captains are use to people festooned with cameras. The one that took us to The Farnes claimed to have had an American with 4 bodies each with a white lens attached. The captain himslef had a Nikon with a gignormous Sigma attached.

Comment

Hi Nathaniel

As for using 70-200mm with the 1.4 extender,this should work very well, and you shouldn't notice hardly any slow down in focusing. Make sure you have your Camera set to AV, Focus setting to AI Servo, and set Drive mode to high speed (the 60D may have a faster motor drive than 600D).ISO 400 is a good start and with this fine weather we're having should give you a high shutter speed.The hardest part is getting that focus point on your target( the birds) as they will be small in the distance so may be difficult to lock the focus on to them,As you get closer the birds will get bigger but then they'll be moving a lot faster,It going to take practice but keep trying, move with the birds as they fly past, once you get the focus locked on just fire away and let the camera do its work.Don't get stressed relax and enjoy the day take as many picture as you can, Practice makes perfect

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thought I might let all my well wishers know that my trip today by boat has been cancelled due to "forecasted" bad weather. I understand that the Irish sea and Menai Straits round the coastal areas would be too dangerous. Just received a phone call from the skipper. A big disappointment for me but I presume one cannot compromise on passenger safety. So I have re-booked for 9th June.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          Thought I might let all my well wishers know that my trip today by boat has been cancelled due to "forecasted" bad weather. I understand that the Irish sea and Menai Straits round the coastal areas would be too dangerous. Just received a phone call from the skipper. A big disappointment for me but I presume one cannot compromise on passenger safety. So I have re-booked for 9th June.
          That is bad news but safety must come first.

Comment

Indeed ... this wind wasn't expected. Been blowing a gale all morning off the Irish Sea.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
              Indeed ... this wind wasn't expected. Been blowing a gale all morning off the Irish Sea.
              Yup. Looks a great day for sailing.

Comment

Working...
              X