Canon EF-s 17-55 F2.8 Dust problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EF-s 17-55 F2.8 Dust problem?

This was one Lens I wondered about getting but is there an inherent dust problem with it? Lots of activity here:

...suggesting regular professional cleaning trips.

And many on eBay are advertised with "dust behind front element but doesn't affect the image quality"

Any thoughts/experience?

Graydon
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Re: Canon EF-s 17-55 F2.8 Dust problem?

I wouldn't worry about it.
    Put a filter on the front and enjoy.

Comment

Will people ever stop worrying about this????

Ignore the crap out there on the net (do you see the irony of me posting this on a internet forum?!). Don't worry about dust!! There's not a whole lot you can do about it, so why worry?

Fact is, the dust that gets into the lens won't hurt anything. They're so far beyond the focal point that there's no way they'll ever be seen in a photo. Have you ever taken a photo through chicken wire, and the wire doesn't get picked up in the photo? If something as substantial as wire doesn't get seen, how on earth would dust be seen?! Even dust on the sensor rarely gets picked up, unless it's particularly large (and sensors are easy enough to clean).

To specifically answer the original question; the 17-55 lens is a cracking little piece of kit - I've had one for quite a while now. Built quality wise, it's more or less up to L-series spec, except that Canon never designate an EF-S lens with L series status. It has a circular aperture, so it gives lovely smooth, circular bokeh (very few lenses have this - it's an extra mechanism in the smallest lens group, just below the iris). It is as prone to dust as any other zoom lens that extends - they all act as a bellows, drawing air (and dust) in and out. There's no avoiding it, and as I've said, it really doesn't matter too much. The folks that get these lenses cleaned are most likely doing so because they can see the dust in the lens when they look at the front element, not because their picture quality is affected, hence why many are advertised in the manner you state (dust behind front element/doesn't affect picture quality).

If you're really worried about dust in a lens, zoom lenses aren't for you. Buy a prime lens that doesn't extend instead (hence there's nothing to draw air in or out). But, you'll be missing out on a great lens!

My advice is to buy it. If you don't like it, get it cleaned, then sell it for more than you bought it for because it's clean.

Only 2 things to look out for with this lens:

They're getting on a bit, so the autofocus motor can be a touch noisy (this isn't actually a problem - it's caused by a felt compression ring showing it's age, but this does put some people off).

Check that the aperture works at both ends of the zoom range (in common with many Canon zooms, the aperture ribbon cable can crack, causing a reported communications error).

Best of luck!

Steve
      Last edited by slangford; 27-05-2012, 11:03.

Comment

Whoa! slangford. I'm not worried, just curious.

I asked the question because I hadn't been able to find any more discussions (other than the flickr/ebay items I highlighted) on the subject. Sorry if this is causing you some distress :) I have the same feeling when people continually try and find fault with the 7D AF!

Anyway, thanks for the information; I didn't know about the motor noise or the ribbon cable issue.

Regards

Graydon
        Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
        EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Working...
        X