Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM (aka 40mm Pancake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM (aka 40mm Pancake)

Got delivered my 40mm pancake and i have to say impressed with both the service from OSD and the lens. Ordered on wednesday got delivered on friday by fedex. Impressive lens for £125. Shame i have to wait till next week to play with it due to my work commitment and deadlines.

Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

Could not resist myself playing with it and here is a quick one, I am pleased and do like the Bokeh. C.C welcome

5D III, Hand held f2.8, 1/30, flash not fired, ISO 1600

RAJ_2090 by rajjayaraj, on Flickr

Raj
      Raj
      Flickr

Comment

I have one & love it.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
          I have one & love it.

Tom
          I am sure it look like another nifty that i am going to love the most.
          Raj
          Flickr

Comment

I have had mine for a while now and am happy with it. Actually I'm sure it attracts more attention due to its diminutive size than a white lens

Comment

As I have stated in another thread I bought my 40 as a pocketable lens for when I am out with the 400mm. Sometimes I see a scene or a flower etc. that I must capture and the 40 is ideal for this. My experience so far is a good one with some excellent flower/berry shots and have recently started to trial it with an Opteka HD Macro attachment with very interesting results. A couple of images in the Macro section but a lot more to come. The only disappointment is the tendency for the AF not to engage if any external pressure has been put on the lens front (easy to do when shoving into a bag). There is now a firmware update to cure this but it is not available for a 7D! Now I have to find somebody with a 1D to lend me!

David
              Last edited by David Morison; 07-12-2012, 07:51.
              PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

I must be daft but after saying and talking too much (must be the Famous grouse I am having now-as an apertiff) I have bought a pancake lens from Hong kong for £105, post free. My thinking was that with a full frame DSLR a 40mm will be 40mm and not 64mm (with my 60D). Also it is a prime lens and the quality should be good as illustrated by several members.

Those who have bought this lens perhaps could advice me whether it takes a UV filter (more for lens protection) and a lenshood (not essential if it would cause problems).
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  I must be daft but after saying and talking too much (must be the Famous grouse I am having now-as an apertiff) I have bought a pancake lens from Hong kong for £105, post free. My thinking was that with a full frame DSLR a 40mm will be 40mm and not 64mm (with my 60D). Also it is a prime lens and the quality should be good as illustrated by several members.

Those who have bought this lens perhaps could advice me whether it takes a UV filter (more for lens protection) and a lenshood (not essential if it would cause problems).
                  Look forward to seing the results Nat.

Comment

The lens hood is so tiny you wonder if it actually does anything ... so I haven't bothered. It takes 52mm filters ... I play with CP-L and Grad-ND on it. Strangely because of its diminutive nature it attracts more comments than something white. Also Nat it weights less than a Knats (sic) Knee Kaps (sic).

Comment

Its the dreaded FGE....Famous Grouse Effect. Can I get it at a clinic near me! LOL

Comment

Here is another one taken with pancake lens and 350d f2.8

Raj

image.jpg
                        Raj
                        Flickr

Comment

I am impresed to see there were 1730 views for this thread and it does shows the popularity or should i say the curiocity of this lens.
                          Raj
                          Raj
                          Flickr

Comment

Raj, I am impressed with the photo. However, have you tried taking similar shots with the Nifty fifty? Also, what made you go for this lens in the first place- apart from liquor induced impulse buying?

Nat
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Raj, I am impressed with the photo. However, have you tried taking similar shots with the Nifty fifty? Also, what made you go for this lens in the first place- apart from liquor induced impulse buying?

Nat
                              Thanks Nat, I have not done a straight comparison with Nifty Fifty, I went for this because of its size and good stand alone focal length when you have forced to take only one lens.

Raj
                              Raj
                              Flickr

Comment

I suppose it (The 40mm) would be an ideal candidate for the (M) CSC body?

Comment

Working...
                                X