Cheaper Alternative to 24-105mm L Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheaper Alternative to 24-105mm L Lens

I have rented the Canon 24-105L and love the performance of this lens. It however carries a massive purchase price and I may not afford it for a while. Is there any other good performing L-quality-type lens of similar/near focal range that would fall in a price bracket of about half the price of the 24-105 i.e. $500-600. Canon options would be first prize but open to others
    regards
    Donald

Re: Cheaper Alternative to 24-105mm L Lens

Which camera do you have?

Comment

Oops sorry forgot that bit of information - 450D
      regards
      Donald

Comment

a used 24-105L ??

Comment

Hi Donald, I have a Canon EFS 15-85 IS USM which on a crop sensor is similar to a 24-105 on a full frame. Whilst not L quality it certainly appears to be a step up from usual kit lenses. I have been more than happy with it as a good walk around lens. Check out this comprehensive review: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...SM/index.shtml
          Ideally you should try to borrow one to try it out. Hope this helps.
          Martin
          Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

Assuming $600 gets you £480 of lens in the U.K. (gotta love 20% sales tax) then it's not great. The 15-85 misses by a bit and the 17-55 (which is a great lens, btw) by quite a lot.

I'd wait a while and try the 18-135 STM lens, which is due next month. The MTF charts are really pretty good. As good as the 24-105 on a 450D anyway. Actually if it's that good I can see it giving Canon some issues selling the more expensive lenses, well, unless it's priced to suit...

Update - it's £479 in the U.K. at launch, so basically about on budget (or, if you prefer, it seems I'm psychic... ;-)

John
            Last edited by DrJon; 14-06-2012, 19:23. Reason: Added pricing info

Comment

As suggested by colintf, why not go for a second hand lens, I got a used 24-105mm L Lens for £450
              Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by amphil007 View Post
                As suggested by colintf, why not go for a second hand lens, I got a used 24-105mm L Lens for £450
                I totally agree, why not a used L lens, you have the quality and the weather proof....?
                Raj
                Flickr

Comment

Many thanks guys for the advice. Martin thanks for the comment on the 15-85mm, was also looking at option but didnt really know much about its performance. But must say never considered a second hand 24-105....actually never thought about that option. funny how I missed that and yet I have rented a well used one on a couple of occasions!
                  regards
                  Donald

Comment

Working...
                  X