Decent portrait lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent portrait lens

Im currently using a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for most of my portraits and although I'm reasonably happy with it the IQ isn't anywhere near as good as some of the most recent lenses available.

So my question is, what's the recommendations on a new portraiture lens. I'd rather keep it below £800 if possible but I suppose I may be able to stretch slightly more if mrs bexman allows (or doesn't find out!). I like the wide angle of the Tamron for close up portraits and that focal length suits me but I'd just like better glass.

It's being used primarily on the 7D.
    Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Re: Decent portrait lens

I find the Tamron has a little barrell distortion at 50mm that's only really obvious on portraits for some reason. Happy with the 50mm length, I've got a Canon 50mm 1.4 which produces excellent, natural portraits. At less than £300 it leaves you £500 for something wide to go with it, although personally I find that an odd choice for portraits - I'd love to see an example!

If you're looking for a single zoom with the wide end, then the obvious choices are the 17-40, limited by f/4, or if you want to retaing the f/2.8 the 17-55 IS might suit your needs?
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

My first instinct was to recommend the 135mm F2L, for the price you won't find a sharper or as pleasing bokeh, but it may be a bit long on the 7D, so I'd second Woolley's suggestion of 50mm F1.4

Second hand the 50mm F1.4 goes for around £200 and the 135mm F2 for around £600, so in reality you could get both, it's a dream combination
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I am in the same camp as Les regarding small to medium telephoto's for portrait work. For head and shoulders I tend to use a 70 - 200mm, or a 100mm macro. The telephoto is slightly flattering to the subject and allows a little distance between you and the sitter, so they do not feel crowded. For more full length, my 24 - 70mm, or 50mm would be the weapons of choice.

I would never use a wide angle of any description for portraits as they are unflattering. For head and shoulders, they can make big noses and skinny heads ......... not something your sitter would thank you for. Although, every lens has its place and they are useful for large group shots.

As you already have the 70 - 200mm, you could go for the 100mm f2.8 macro and also use it for macro ............. double whammy!

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Thanks for the advice, expert as always guys!

I should have said its more full length portraits I take of people receiving awards, I'll pick up a 50mm and see how I get on. The crop sensor on the 7D sometimes means a full length shot is a bit tight in a small size but the 50mm may be the answer.
          Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Mike, ultimatley I think you may be better off with the 16-35 or 24-70 2.8L or both. Over budget as they might be, we often seem to find the money.

I'm thinking that unless you know exactly where your going to be snapping and what space you have - you'll end up having to carry the 17-50 zoom just in case the 50mm is unsuitable.

That 50 1.4 undoubtedly gives superb IQ for the money, however it's got the slow micro motor USM, it's not that well built, and Imho not good enough for fast paced photo journalistic work often dodgy light. There are times when the 50 1.4 is perfect - it's all down to your invisaged usage.

By contrast the 85 1.8 USM has ring USM that gives noticeably better AF performance, and is better built. Probably not an option for you if you need a wider lens.

The fist time I used a 50 1.4 I thought the AF was faulty - it wasn't, it's just poor by comparison to better non L primes and L zooms.

Maybe this info will not be of use to the OP but those buying lenses need to know that not all USM is created equal.

Trev

Comment

Thanks Trev that's actually very useful info! I was initially thinking of the 24-70 as I know how good the l lenses are. I hadn't considered the AF speed on the nifty fifty. Maybe I need to look for a used 24-70 for now
              Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

I normally use two lenses for this job. 50mm F/1.4 & 100mm F/2.0. You could get both of these within your budget. Both far better quality and superior boket with their wide (fast) apertures than any zoom. Both on F/F.
                P.S. I should have said; both Canon

Comment

Working...
                X