Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action Photography Lens Dilema

Hello All

Just joined the forums having bought my 7D recently moving from 4/3 to DSLR. Really enjoying it.

I like, and want to move further into, taking action sport shots, mainly mountain biking. Really looking forward to October when we're flying out to Red Bull Rampage in Utah. With this in mind here is my question, and I'm hoping you can all help...

I'm looking for a tele-zoom lens as for the sort of shots I'm looking to take the action will not just be tracking across the viewfinder, but moving towards and away from me too, so not looking for a prime at this time...

I've read great reviews on the 70-200 f4 L (non-IS) and based on the shutter speeds I'm using and most of the action is outside in bright sunshine I'm not looking at the IS model.

However, I am looking for a bit more reach so have been reading up on the complicated extender topic.... It appears the rule, no-matter whose extender, is that a 1.4x will drop a 70-200 f4 down to f5.6 and a 2.0x will drop it to f8.

Now we hit the possible problem... I understand from what i've read that Canon have limited the 7D body (amongst others) so that it won't AF at anything past f5.6. Whilst I can go manual for some of the time, occasionally you can't predict what line or trick the freestylers are going to take, so AF can be very handy.

1. Whilst Canon 2x won't AF with the 70-200 f4, will anyone else's extender allow AF, or is this a body restriction?

2. For an extra £500, it it worth stretching to the 70-200 f2.8 L? Although quite an expense more, I presume the f2.8 would mean I retained AF when using with the Canon 2x extender?

If I could get your opinions on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Scott
    Sonic

Canon EOS 7D : EF 50mm f1.8 : EF USM 28-90mm f4-5.6 : EF USM 75-300mm f4-5.6

Re: Action Photography Lens Dilema

I have been shooting my Sigma 50-500 at f8 on my 7d without focus problems
    Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

What about a 70-300mm ?
      Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Hi Thndr_strck

Thanks for replying. I do have a 70-300 already, but was looking to move up in optics and liked the idea of the f4 constant through the range (or f2.8 if my pockets can stretch).
        Sonic

Comment

Hi Scott,

In my view you want the 100-400mm L lens. If you're going to any sort of airshow you're going to need at least a 400mil lens. I've used both the x1.4 & x2 TC on a 70-200 f2.8 & f4 with a 7D & I wasn't that impressed with the AF speed.

TTFN,
          Neil
          Neilly's Flickr Page
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
          Facebook
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Thndr_strck your lens focuses at F8 because that is not its maximum aperture, that's what counts for Af to work or not.

Scott in answers to your questions

1. Kenko extenders might allow AF at F8. If your 70 - 300 is the L version, Mike P uses a Kenko 1.4 and it auto focuses at F8
            2. Yes you would keep AF, but it would be slower
            3. Have you though about the Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS?

Regards

William
            40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

The 70-200 f4 is sharper than the non-IS f2.8, which would lose out even more with an extender, so I'd suggest (from those two) just going with the f4 and the 1.4x, which gives a fair reach on a 7D (allowing for the crop the field of view is the same as 448mm on a full-frame).

Only 1-series bodies (except the 1Dx) will auto-focus at f8. I have no idea how the Sigma (mentioned above) is working.

There is also the 70-300L, but you can't use extenders with that. Compact though.

The 100-400 seems to attract varied comments, depending on how good a one people have got, good ones do seem pretty good, however the wide end is pretty long so you might find that limiting.

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful info coming in.

@Neil - Yeah, I had seen the 100-400, but had read mixed reviews on this one so wasn't sure.

@William - Unfortunately no my 70-300 is the standard Lens from my old (1998) Canon film camera. I haven't looked at the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 - I presume this would work with a Canon-fit Sigma Extender and retain AF at the 2 stop change to f5.6 ?

@DrJon - I hadn't heard anything bad about the f2.8 non-IS so might need to do some more digging around on that one. True, with crop I could go 1.4x and the f4 dropping to f5.6 hence still AF.

With extender off and nearer subjects, I do like depth of field shots blurring my background to allow the bike rider to be frozen in time, hence the temptation on the f2.8. Looks like I'll have to dig through some reports on this lens and see about the non-IS sharpness issue?
                Sonic

Comment

Take a look at www.photozone.de

Comment

Rasputin - sorry, I'm confused about this whole not focusing info, I have a Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM lens, what is it's maximum aperture ? I know the minimum is f22.
                    Sorry to hijack the thread :P

Comment

Thndr_strck, the maximum aperture varies from 4.5 to 6.3 as you increase the focal length. However, when your Sigma's maximum aperture reaches 6.3 it "reports" back to the camera as 5.6 to make the auto focus to continue to work. It is the same with my 150 - 500, which goes from 5 to 6.3

Hope that helps

William
                      40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

Ah ok, got it

Comment

Originally posted by Thndr_strck View Post
                          Ah ok, got it
                          Have you?

I think the thread is becoming confusing.
                          You can "auto-focus" at any aperature, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22 etc..
                          It is the maximum aperature of the lens that counts.

When combining a Canon extender (also called a teleconverter) the lens will only auto-focus when the maximum aperature of the lens is less than f/8. In best practice use an extender (teleconverter) with a lens that has a maximum aperature of f/2.8 or lower or a x1.4 extender on a lens with a maximum aperature of f/4. Some Kenko teleconverters will work on other lenses whilst maintaining auto-focus.
                          Useful read
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

If your 70-300 dates back to film days, then perhaps you should take a look at the latest incarnation of this lens.
                            It now 'sports' 3 stop IS. an UD element (normally only used in L series lenses), is far better built than previous versions,
                            and doesn't cost a fortune !
                            Results, even at 300mm, are very good. In my book, bang for buck, it's a winner !

Fred
                            Last edited by fadetoblack; 25-07-2012, 17:41.

Comment

100-400mm all the way, you'll not be disappointed

Comment

Working...
                              X