Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 24-70 F2.8 L USM - Suggested alternatives

Hi,

For a while now I'd planned on buying the 24-70 F2.8 L USM. I'm now just a little peeved by the release of the Mk II. I'm sure its a great lens, but depending on where you look it's priced roughly £600-£900 more than the Mk I, which most of the online retailers that I'd trust no longer have in stock. At this price there is no way I could justify buying it - to myself or more importantly to my better half. Also since lens prices generally hold, I can't see it becoming a more reasonable price any time soon.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for other similar L series EF lenses in a reasonable price bracket (the Mk I was around £1300 when I last looked). In particular I'm looking for something that's more flexible than my 50mm prime, will perform great in low light (weddings and the like), and be used for taking various shots of my daughter growing up.

Maybe Canon have something else in mind for this gap that they've created? But then since they've recently released a whole wave of lenses and bodies I doubt it. Any one know of any rumours?
    Cheers,
    Barry.

EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 50mm F1.8 II, EF 70-200mm F4 L USM IS, 420ex Speedlite

Re: EF 24-70 F2.8 L USM - Suggested alternatives

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens comes to mind, although you already have the 17-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II version or is that the 18-55mm?. Great in low light.
    Other's will suggest the 24-105mm f/4L IS which is another great lens.

I have owned the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 (IF) lens which is superb.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I have the existing 24 - 70mm f2.8 L and it is just superb. Can't see what prompted Canon to tinker around with it to make the MKII, when there are plenty of other lenses that could do with their magic. 100 - 400mm and 50mm f1.4 to name just two.

As the 24 - 70mm is built like a brick, why not look for a second hand one. They do crop up now and again, but you may have to be patient. The last time I looked at the MPB website, link at the top of this page, they had one.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

You're quite right, its a typo. I have the 18-55mm EF-S kit lens.
        Cheers,
        Barry.

EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 50mm F1.8 II, EF 70-200mm F4 L USM IS, 420ex Speedlite

Comment

No sure why your now dismissing the 24-70 f2.8 mkI just because Canon have released an new version,In a recent mag test the MKI still came out on top,Great lenses don't become bad overnight.

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I'm not dismissing it. I know its a great lens and I'd rather get the Mk I because its more in my affordable price range. The problem is that supplies have been drying up and my preferred online suppliers seem to no longer stock it. Even some of the more grey dealers (posing as UK suppliers and shipping from Hong Kong) are listing it as out of stock. The Mk II is just too expensive for me.
            Cheers,
            Barry.

Comment

Barry
              Some 3rd party alternatives are very good for the money but not quite there on the IQ, build etc. Why don't you get a mk1 new now while you still can. I've have tried the sigma and the tamron offering in this range and they are adequete.

I know 2 people who still use the previous model 28-70 2.8L and wouldn't dream of parting.

I can see the used price of the 24-70 2.8 L going up, because people will want the lens, but not prepared to go to 2.3K for the MK2
              This mk2 lens is "reassuringly expensive" LOL , however it is still an un-proven lens. :-))

Trev

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Trev, I think you're probably right. I've found a smallish supplier not far from where I work who "should" get some Mk 1's in stock in the next week or so and not at a bad price. I just need to convince the Mrs I should spend the money now.
                Cheers,
                Barry.

Comment

I have the EF 24-105 L and it is superb. Some comparisons show very little difference between the 24-70 L and the 24-105L, and unless you're going to make large prints, any quality difference (if there is any) will be unnoticable. If a wider aperture is the attraction, all you need to do with the 24-105 is up the ISO by one stop - you'll hardly notice any difference with modern camera noise control unless you go to very high ISOs. The 24-105 L also has IS which can be a life saver when hand held, and (obviously) an extra 35mm range. Past experience would put me off any EFS lens as these are unusable if you upgrade to a full frame body. You can find a 'white boxed' ex kit 24-105 L for almost half the £1,300 you mentiond for a Mk I 24-70 L. That's my tuppence worth - hope it helps.

Comment

Don't dismiss the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 (IF) I found the colours were just superb and the price was favourable and at 715g it is over 200g lighter than the Canon 24-70mm mk1.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Ah, that's the newer version. I have the older Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 and while it's heavier, bulkier and noisier (audibly) by all accounts it's optically better. Tamron have also recently brought out a new 24-70mm F/2.8 but I don't know how good it is; but it is £900+

Comment

Working...
                      X