which lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which lens

I have a 450D and I am thinking of upgrading the 18 - 55mm kit lens to complement my 100-400mm L lens

Re: which lens

Originally posted by colinjc25 View Post
    I have a 450D and I am thinking of upgrading the 18 - 55mm kit lens to complement my 100-400mm L lens
    It very much depends on what budget you have available.
    rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

probably up to £1000

Comment

17-40mm L looks a good option - approx £500
        I am also changing from the 18-55 EF-S - but opting for a 35mm f2 prime which is similar to a standard 50mm on full frame.
        Check the sharpness charts on the link below - the 35mm is as sharp as the 17-40L and only £219 at Warehouse Express

OpticalLimits - Lens reviews and beyond!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by rhodopsin View Post
          It very much depends on what budget you have available.
          ...and what you want to achieve, and what you currently have!
          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

I cannot afford an L series lens and as photography is a good hobby for me I don't think I will every buy an L series lens. That being said what are members opinions on the EF IS series lens as against the EF USM lens- the range being say 18mm- 55mm and 55mm - 250mm.

Comment

I suggest you have a look at photozone - the comparative figures are very revealing if its sharpness you are after. The EF-S 18-55mm IS is very close in performance to the highly regarded 17-40mm L series lens - and that might be the lens to change to if you want a similar range but better build quality.
              The 35mm f2 lens (which is being delivered from Amazon tomorrow) has better sharpness figures than the 17-40mm L - for four of six sets of data - between f4 and f8 at centre and edge of the frame.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

If you're just asking about upgrading your kit lens the
                EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM may be worth a look.

The only thing is; it's a touch pricey, but it's within your budget.

Millie

Comment

I use the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM as my "walkabout lens" and have nothing but praise for it.

Excellent value for money

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHollick View Post
                    I use the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM as my "walkabout lens" and have nothing but praise for it.

Excellent value for money

Dave
                    Superb lens the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 - 'L' Glass in high quality plastic barrel, highly effective IS and a proper stainless steel bayonet mount. Surely, one of the finest EF-S series lenses ever made!?

Expensive? Sure! But, you really 'do' get what you pay for in this instance.

Regards,
                    Dave C

Comment

Working...
                    X