Canon extenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon extenders

I have been reading reviews and posts about the Canon Mk III 1.4x and 2x extenders. As a new DSLR user, I think I understand the basic advantages and disadvantages of these bits of kit. If I bought one, it would be mainly for wildlife shots. Which would be the better buy if I was only going for one of them? Thanks in advance for any advice forum members can give me.

Re: Canon extenders

I personally don't have either but from the people that I know who do have the extenders they all advise the 1.4, you only loose one f stop and a not so much IQ. The 1.4 is used by a lot of people on this forum.

Do check that they will fit your lens and also consider that on a slower lens you may also loose auto-focus depending on your camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
      I personally don't have either but from the people that I know who do have the extenders they all advise the 1.4, you only loose one f stop and a not so much IQ. The 1.4 is used by a lot of people on this forum.

Do check that they will fit your lens and also consider that on a slower lens you may also loose auto-focus depending on your camera.
      Thanks Muscat. I would use it on a 7D with my 70-200 MkII f/2.8 lens.

Comment

I have both (mk II versions) but I use the 1.4x a lot more as I think it loses me less...

Comment

The 2xIII is good on the 70-200 2,8MkII. As long as you do not take liberties with poor light. It does slow the af down and I find that to be more of an issue for birds in flight etc. than iq issues.

Comment

Thanks all! :)

Comment

The 1.4TC is an excellent addition to your lens line up, while the 2.0TC (mkiii) has good IQ the focus & focus tracking takes a hit

I did a review of the 2.0TC here:-

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                The 1.4TC is an excellent addition to your lens line up, while the 2.0TC (mkiii) has good IQ the focus & focus tracking takes a hit

I did a review of the 2.0TC here:-

http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...nder-EF-2x-III
                Thanks Les. I'll take a look. :)

Comment

What a brilliant review Les! Thanks again!

Comment

What lens are you thinking of using with an extender?
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

If you only have one, it has to be the 1.4x. You would barely notice any difference in quality. The 2x needs a bit more thought rehgarding when to use it and a lot more light to get the best from it.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X