cheap e.bay lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap e.bay lenses

it may seem like a silly question but i'm only just starting to get back into photography & I keep looking at seemingly cheap lenses of all types on e.bay, my question is are any of them any good, is there any makes I should avoid etc ?

Re: cheap e.bay lenses

You can get good deals on Ebay I have a few times although I only buy Canon now.............
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

I have learned the hard way sometimes. Buy the best you can afford. That doesn't mean that you should buy the most expensive. There is a wide price range between sellers on eBay and photographic shops for exactly the same equipment. However read sellers reviews and look at their feedback before you buy anything. Ask the seller questions relating to the product as well that might point out that its a fake!

I now only buy the best what I can afford and it does pay off as you will find out from image quality yourself.

I'm no expert and only been doing this for 1 year and only more serious the last 6 months but I expect there are allot of experts that will comment here as well.

Generally speaking though if your thinking of a specific piece of equipment then search the forum and more than likely there is a review of somekind or something about it in here. If not start a thread and ask a question about the specific item. There are to many makes and models to tell you what to avoid and what to buy.

Sorry if all this is random but I'm typing on my iPhone and can't scroll back up!
      Canon 600d
      Canon Ef 24-105mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM,
      Speedlight 430 EX II, B+W 110 10 stop Screw in ND

Comment

I've bought a couple of L lenses off ebay. Both have been used but of good condition.
        As long as you bide your time and get a good deal, should be fine.
        And at the end of the day if you're not happy with the product, you could always sell it back on ebay. (maybe even make a profit!)
        Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

my question is are any of them any good, is there any makes I should avoid etc ?
          Keep to Canon & Sigma brands.
          If looking for any particular lens, wide-angle, telephoto, super-telephoto, macro etc.. then ask here for opinions before buying (or send me a message).
          Everyone here will give good advise.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Here's an example: Ask for info.

I've been looking at: Canon EF 90-300mm LENS
            Currently selling on ebay for just under the hundred pound mark. Happily its a Canon brand lens, yes its not got "IS" (image stabilisation) but for planes, using a tripod and moving stuff do I need it?

Is it a totally shocking lens? Or as it just fallen out of favour with more people buying the 70-300 the 75-300 or the 55-250. Options and help please.

Thanks.
            Last edited by DeeGee; 30-10-2012, 19:23.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Graham59 View Post
              it may seem like a silly question but i'm only just starting to get back into photography & I keep looking at seemingly cheap lenses of all types on e.bay, my question is are any of them any good, is there any makes I should avoid etc ?
              If it is 'seemingly cheap', then it probably is !
              Remember the 'adage'; "If it's too good to be true; then it probably is".
              Until you know and understand the market, I would advise you stay away; and buy from a 'reputable' dealer !
              My 2cents worth !!

Fred D

Comment

I have now bought three L series from ebay. yes, I got them for a nice bit less than the S/H price at (for example) LCE*, but not for so little as to be considered "silly prices". All three lenses are exemplary.

*not knocking LCE here, I have also put a fair bit their way with excellent results

so maybe I got lucky, but I spent a long time looking at how similar items were selling before jumping in, and also read the words closely attempting to "read between the lines". I distrust overly gushing prose as much as I do a one liner "selling due to upgrade".........

My first one was also a local cash-on-collection so I had the option to pull out right up until I handed over the cash (it's now my most used lens!!!). So I always look for local sales first.

So, advice? Don't rush in, there'll be another one along next week. Read the text, the "small mark on the front lens which doesn't affect PQ" may be fine, but there'll be another along next week without a mark. Looks for ones that come complete boxed, with hood and case (if L series) -if there's a picture of the complete kit (that doesn't look like it's a stock photo) then that's better than one of just the lens. Don't get into a bidding war, there'll be another along next week.........

And as has already been said by previous posters, "If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is".
                Last edited by ChristopherM; 30-10-2012, 22:47.
                A1, Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm & 70-210mm (Exif data....what Exif data?)

Comment

Check the sellers feedback and what they have been selling, if there's no camera kit listed I'd leave alone.
                  Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

thanks for the advise everyone, I think i'll have a good look around before parting with to much cash

Comment

Hi Graham and welcome to the forum! Everyones remarks spell caution and rightly so. However I have always consulted Ebay even if its only for prices, often it has raised questions which I bring back to the forum. Its also worth noting that most of the dealers mentioned on the forum do sell on ebay, its a market place. If I purchase there i use paypal with its protective cover
                      Alun

Comment

I bought a brand new Canon 24-105 L for £602 from an Ebay dealer, judge for yourself........
                        My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
                        © JH Foto
                        The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Graham, I 'd add my two penny worth here. I have bought lenses & cameras on Ebay without any problems. Most sellers are quite honest and there is also the Ebay/Paypal guarantees to fall back on. However, you should check the feedback of the seller first and see how long he has been selling items, the value of items sold etc. In the end it boils down to the old saying "caveat Emptor".
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice folks, one of my other hobbies is restoring classic British motorcycles so i'm a seasoned e.bayer but photography Is'nt a avenue I've explored yet & as with most things there's usually one or two makes (from past experience) that are best avoided

Comment

Working...
                            X