The "L" has landed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "L" has landed!

So after a LOT of deliberation and research, I decided to take the plunge, and bought a 70-200 f4L. Already I am sooo impressed by the quality, sharpness, and ability of this lens to shoot in low light. Today was the first time I was able to take some proper shots with my white wonder, and I wasn't dissapointed. Even though it was getting on for 4:30pm on a dull, rainy Western Central Scotland day, the results were more than impressive. I am no professional, just a keen ametuer with a vision to take great pictures, which I am still trying to achieve! But, I am certain this lens will help in my pursuit. Don't worry, I am under no illusion that it is the equipment that makes the picture. I know it is down to the fingure on the shutter release etc, but, it helps to have good equipment.

However, I have learnt a very hard and valuable lesson. I researched the chosen focal length endlessly, and decided to plump for this lens. The thing is, I didn't study and evaluate the type of photography that I actually do and enjoy. Most of my photos are landscapes, candid kid shots, and that kind of thing. Somehow I got caught up in the whole new equipment fever. I think maybe I should have gone for a focal range closer to the 24-105 f4. As much as I love my new lens, and I'm sure that I will use it a lot, I can't help but think I may have made an expensive error.

Thanks for reading,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: The "L" has landed!

Originally posted by digiman View Post
    I can't help but think I may have made an expensive error.
    No error on your part Garry as you will find that you will use this lens more & more.
    At 70mm that is quite good for portraits, especially outdoors.

For landscape save up for an ultra-wide angle lens (UWA) such as a 10-20mm or a wide angle lens such as the 17-40mm f/4L.

You'll still be loving the 70-200mm L lens this time next year.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

My 70 - 200mm is my favourite portrait and candids lens.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Thanks guys for the encouragement! having looked through the shots I took, I am really pleased with them, and I'm beginning to understand the capabilities of this lens. I guess I'm just not used to spending so much on a single item and got a bit anxious that I made a mistake. My whole kit up until now never came to the price of this one lens!

Comment

You will not be disappointed in this lens, I wasn't even after spending all that money.
          I am still learning and have still more to learn but having both lenses (24-105) i find that with the 70-200 i can step further back while trying to take photos of the grand kids with out being obtrusive and the IQ is better. As for landscapes i can alway stitch photos toghether.
          Enjoy your new lens you will enjoy taking lots of photos with it.

Dave.
          www.microwyred.co.uk

Comment

For candids, it's fantastic. The range is great for picking people out accompanied by the f/4 aperture, and in my experience, people see the white lens, think 'professional' rather than 'perv' and smile. Several have then approached me to see the image and asked for a copy, which I'm more than happy to provide.

For the wide end of landscape, the 24-105 isn't really wide enough anyway - it's a great all-rounder - so you can still use the 70-200 for picking out tighter details and making the most of the wonderful contrast it provides.

For the record, it was also my first 'L' and I'm hugely pleased with it.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I have realised that the "L" lenses hold their values very well, and so consider it as a form of investment in today's lean economic times. The 70-200 f4L lens is an excellent one and I have one which I take when I wish to travel abroad light. That plus the 1.4TC is my only telephoto lens. I also take my 24-105mm lens.

Re: your comment re the cost of the lens, I am reminded of the old saying "good things no cheap, cheap things no good"!
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 04-11-2012, 21:08.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                For candids, it's fantastic. The range is great for picking people out accompanied by the f/4 aperture, and in my experience, people see the white lens, think 'professional' rather than 'perv' and smile.
                Interesting perspective! I have taken hundreds of photos my own kids and friends and family members, but don't have the bottle to take pics of random Joes in the park. I'd love to, because I find people watching fascinating. But taking uninvited pics of people I don't know? Not just yet

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post

Re: your comment re the cost of the lens, I am reminded of the old saying "good things no cheap, cheap things no good"!
                  My version of this quote is " Buy cheap, Buy twice!"

Comment

Enjoy your 70-200L Lens, then put the 24-105L on your wish list.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                      Enjoy your 70-200L Lens, then put the 24-105L on your wish list.

Tom
                      Or the soon to be announced 24-70L f/4 IS ...

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                        Or the soon to be announced 24-70L f/4 IS ...
                        That lens intrigues me! The existing 24-105 is of superb quality, will the new lens be much better? The IS will be the better 4-stop version rather than the originals 3-stop, it'll be marginally lighter, by all accounts it may even be cheaper, but at the loss of almost half the focal-length range. To me it seems an oddball lens which doesn't really fit.
                        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                          That lens intrigues me! The existing 24-105 is of superb quality, will the new lens be much better? The IS will be the better 4-stop version rather than the originals 3-stop, it'll be marginally lighter, by all accounts it may even be cheaper, but at the loss of almost half the focal-length range. To me it seems an oddball lens which doesn't really fit.
                          ... and me ... unless Canon are planning 4 versions (like the 70-200) !! and having something else up their corporate sleeves ... 20-150L f/4 IS

Comment

Working...
                          X