Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7D most compatable lenses

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
    I can see the weatherproofing point but not so much the other two.

The only way you'd achieve a one size filter is to go 77mm and limit yourself to having to buy the more expensive L (and or EFS 17-55) lenses and in particular the 70-200 F2.8 zoom as the F4 versions and 70-300L are 67mm. Given that most people would buy a UV/skylight for each lens anyway and a square set only require a different adapter ring the only extra expenditure would be for circular polarisers, if you wanted one and whilst expensive it's a small amount to what you may be investing in glass.

Likewise the extenders are predominantly used with telephotos, the 70-300L doesn't take one (canon anyway) but already equates to longer reach than you'd get with a 70-200 + 1.4 and it's knock on loss of aperture and increased cost and weight. (I'd considered this route before buying the 70-300).

I'm not saying don't consider those things but I think they are less important than what focal lengths do you want/need the most and at what aperture and cost.

Edit to add, apologies didn't see the last couple of posts whilst I was typing, didn't realise you wanted prime teles.
    If you have three lenses each with a different filter size and you use filters ... say grads, CPL etc then it can become a significant cost.

Comment

Key thing is as you are doing. Hire lenses (or pop into a Canon Pro dealer) and try them out ... see which YOU find balanced, see which YOU like, see which does the job. IMHO don't be swayed by IS ... yes its nice to have but IMHO not an essential item ... technical is far more important ... I think someone has already said the most important item in the taking picture chain ... is the operator. Bad technique == bad results.

We can give pointers (and often throw something in you've not considered). But it's YOUR money. One thing I can say the two lens changes I made were not that expensive because L glass holds its value better ... so you should look at TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
        If you have three lenses each with a different filter size and you use filters ... say grads, CPL etc then it can become a significant cost.
        Do the majority of photographers actually use circular grads? If you're looking at buying 3 lenses, even if all 77mm would you get just one skylight and swap it? As I said it is only the polariser that you would probably have to purchase more than once above what you'd pay for anyway.
        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

My friend with a 7D started with the 17-55 f2.8 (and got some amazing photos, it is very sharp and of course f2.8 so good for subject isolation) and is adding one of the 70-200s, but keeps flip-flopping between the f4 IS and the f2.8 II IS.

I'd certainly want the former but would want to go longer for a second lens (but he wants the lens for events and I'd want it for outside).

Comment

[QUOTE=
            Edit to add, apologies didn't see the last couple of posts whilst I was typing, didn't realise you wanted prime teles.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is set in stone Wayne, I was at the 'Focus on imaging show earlier this year and went to the canon stand to have a look at some of the lenes etc I met two very well informed amateurs who overhearing my question to the canon rep suggested primes! In particular the 400mm F/5.6 they suggested it as an alternative too the 100-400mm I'd asked the rep for. when I wanted to rent and having left everything a tad late I decided to try a prime! I used the 300mm with and without the 1.4 extender in cornwall this year fixed to a mono pod, I already own a 70-300mm (sigma) and its reach always let me down, although the 300 with extender gave the required reach, I should have used my tripod instead!!!
            Alun

Comment

Hi Alun,
              I have settled with the following:
              Canon 10-22 EF-S for Wide.
              Canon 24-105 EF F4 L normally attached when walking
              Canon 70-300 EF L (I still have the non L version too) for a little more reach. Sometime I use a Kenko 1.4 to extend the reach further
              Canon 100 EF Macro (I had the 60mm, and this is even better)
              Canon 15-85 EF-s for when I am with family and friends.

There's alos this which was just for fun from lasts years EOYS
              Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
              EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Hi Alun
                I've gone through this choice with a 7D/lenses. Taking weight into account I've settled for 3. Canon EF50mm f/1.4, EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 and EF-L 70-200mm IS f/4 with 1.4 mk 2 extender but if I didn't already own the 70-200 etc then I'd go with the 70-300 EF-L IS f/4-5.6. Sold/selling a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6/Canon EF85mm f/1.8/Canon EF50mm f/1.8/Canon EF-L 24-105mm f/4 to accommodate what I now have.
                Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

One last question if I may. In all of the helpful replies the one lens that is most recommended appears to be the 70-300mm L! My existing 70-300mm(Sigma) could never provide the reach required when standing on the beach snapping wind surfers, etc. The rented 300mm with extender however did. So I'm faced with deciding upon the latter, a 400mm F/5.6 which I earlier mentioned had been recommended or the 100-400mm.
                  WDYT?
                  Alun

Comment

Well if you've found that 300mm isn't 'powerful' enough. Then I'd go for the 400mm f/5.6 - don't be swayed by the lack of IS. Owners of this lens have posted some cracking images (no pun intended). The 100-400L is also a good lens and is the 300f/4 (with /without the 1.4xII).

I've said before I tested all three of these ... final decision is what you intend to do with it ... they are all worthy contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
                      Hi Alun,
                      I have settled with the following:
                      Canon 10-22 EF-S for Wide.
                      Canon 24-105 EF F4 L normally attached when walking
                      Canon 70-300 EF L (I still have the non L version too) for a little more reach. Sometime I use a Kenko 1.4 to extend the reach further
                      Canon 100 EF Macro (I had the 60mm, and this is even better)
                      Canon 15-85 EF-s for when I am with family and friends.
                      [/url]
                      Many thanks jonesgj I have the 10-20mm already, I also have a kenko 1.4 extender mine was a pressey and is utter crap, must be a poor relation, I've seen others recommend a kenko!! I'll try your link shortly thanks for the time!

Longshot Thanks for the reply. I notice your selling your nifty I'm surprised I was impressed by the quality and price of this item!!
                      Alun

Comment

Originally posted by Alun100 View Post
                        One last question if I may. In all of the helpful replies the one lens that is most recommended appears to be the 70-300mm L! My existing 70-300mm(Sigma) could never provide the reach required when standing on the beach snapping wind surfers, etc. The rented 300mm with extender however did. So I'm faced with deciding upon the latter, a 400mm F/5.6 which I earlier mentioned had been recommended or the 100-400mm.
                        WDYT?
                        I have been researching the possibility of purchasing one of the two 400mm lenses you mention. The conclusion I have come to is, the fixed focal 400mm f5.6 will be sharper than the 100-400mm, due to it being just that, a fixed focal length lens. But, the 100-400mm has the benefits of having zoom capabilities. So I think I will be going for the 100-400mm, although I'm sure others will have a different opinion on the subject. Horses for courses springs to mind. Just my tuppence worth.

John

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                          Well if you've found that 300mm isn't 'powerful' enough. Then I'd go for the 400mm f/5.6 - don't be swayed by the lack of IS. Owners of this lens have posted some cracking images (no pun intended). The 100-400L is also a good lens and is the 300f/4 (with /without the 1.4xII).

I've said before I tested all three of these ... final decision is what you intend to do with it ... they are all worthy contenders.
                          A 400 prime or tele I will be using to catch fast moving surfers and similar!!! when I rented the 300 plus 1.4 I used tripod mounted, it was ok but I wonder if the 100-400 will be more useful considering that these people can come suddenly into view often at great speed if their wind surfing??
                          Alun

Comment

Well if say 200mm is okay for close in surfers (or to get a generic view of lots of surfers) then the zoom will have benefits. You need to borrow one and see ... look at the EXIF data and see what focal lengths you used. Choosing between these lenses is a hard call. I've had the zoom then swapped for the 300 ... and may swap that for a 400. I found I was predominately using the zoom at 300-350 which when an opportunity arose to swap I did so. The 300 works very well with the 1.4x. Only you'll know what works for you ... but look at all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Alun100 View Post
                              Many thanks jonesgj I have the 10-20mm already, I also have a kenko 1.4 extender mine was a pressey and is utter crap, must be a poor relation, I've seen others recommend a kenko!! I'll try your link shortly thanks for the time!

Longshot Thanks for the reply. I notice your selling your nifty I'm surprised I was impressed by the quality and price of this item!!
                              Hi Alun
                              The nifty is a fine/best lens for the money, mine is the MK1 metal mount but replaced with the 50mm f/1.4. We all have our own ideas/requirements and budget etc. My point, this is what I've bought/sold to end up with what I have which covers pretty much 17-280mm f/1.4/f2.8/f/4-5.6 with 3 lenses only and good glass plus I wanted to unload weight.
                              Keep in mind that many say the 24-70 and the 24-105 are better suited to full frame as there not very wide on a crop body like the 7D, I agree.
                              Flash, the 270EX far better than the on board for indoors, it's not a 430/580 but light/small which suits me Don't bother with the MK11, the MK1 I picked up new for £65, you will have to look around but you can leave on all the time.
                              Graham
                              Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

I see a lot of people recommend the 'Holy Trinity' of;

17-40 f/4L
                                24-105 f/4L
                                70-200 f/4L

Having owned all three along with 5D and 7D I have to say that IMHO these three lenses seem more suited to FF than 1.6 crop but that could be me coming from a 35mm background!

It all depends upon what you want to shoot as what you lose on the wide end you gain on the tele-end.

I see you already have the 10-22mm which is an excellent choice on the 7D and is almost a direct equivalent of 17-40mm on FF.

To that I would add the 50mm f/1.4 as optically it is excellent but I would treat it very carefully as it seems prone to autofocus failure

Having not owned any other EF-S lenses I can't comment but I would certainly put the fastest 300-400mm lens I could on it which will be ideal for birds, wildlife etc. and should satisfy any telephoto lust that may come along.

It would cost megabucks to get this focal length equivalent on FF which is where the 7D really comes into its own.

Don't write-off the 100-400mm either as a lot of people will say the 400mm f/5.6 is sharper. Technically I would be surprised if it wasn't but I fear most of these opinions are based upon pixel-peeping and you might be hard pressed to see the real-world difference between the two and that zoom range is huge an very flexible compared to a prime.

I realise there are large gaps between these focal lengths but a super zoom of @70-300mm recommended by many others should fill most of that.

-=Glyn=-

Comment

Working...
                                X