Faulty Nifty 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty Nifty 50

As the title suggests my 50mm has a intermittent fault on the auto focus, it just stops working for no reason, then if i move the focus ring to max open or close and then press for focus again it starts working again. Anyone any ideas?
    The auto focus button moves free and is clean as are the terminals on the lens as far as i can see. Other lenses work ok so is not a camera problem. Any help would be appreciated
    James

Re: Faulty Nifty 50

I had an almost identical problem with auto focus on an old (non USM) Canon 100mm macro lens. Manual focus still worked perfectly all the time.

While investigating the problem, I put the lens in manual focus, and very slowly moved it through the full focus range. There was a point in the range where I could feel a slight but definite resistance, which felt like one of the internal cogs or gearing may have broken or have some contamination in the workings. This was presumably too much resistance for the auto focus motor to cope with.

Because I mainly use manual focus for macros work, the lack of auto focus wasn't much of an issue so I haven't had any repairs done.

Not much help really!!

Comment

Hi
      Is it the 1.4 or 1.8 some call both nifty

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
        Hi
        Is it the 1.4 or 1.8 some call both nifty

Trev
        its the 1.4

Comment

I've had that problem - that's why I'd never trust that lens anywhere were it's going to be hard to find focus.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great lens optically and £for£ it's hard to beat for IQ - mechanically it's weak.
          Not much help, my only suggestion is to have it serviced.

Trev

Comment

Common & well documented problem it would appear...

Happened to me. Bought a new EF 50mm f/1.4 a few years ago and probably never even taken 50 pictures with it.

It has been stored in its pouch inside a LowePro padded bag along with my other lenses.

Took it out earlier this year only to find the Autofocus hunt a little and then stop altogether.

Embarrassing & inconvenient as I was checking out a 5D I was buying at the time!

Canon wanted their standard repair charge of £104 to repair it. They fitted a new focussing unit.

Research suggests the lens is susceptible to focus damage even by the simple task of putting the lens cap on!

Just as Trev states above...excellent optics but poor mechanics.

It's about time Canon offered a decent 50mm lens IMHO.

The four choices out there are all compromised in one way or another;

50mm f/1.8 II Toytown plastic appearance. No full time manual focus, Non-USM & noisy focus. Surprisingly optically very sharp. Cheap to look at but then again cheap to buy!

50mm f/1.4 Much better build quality with full time manual focus. Micro USM not ring USM and once again is noisy when focussing. Optically very sharp and of course a little faster but prone to autofocus failure? Better background blur.

50mm f/1.2L Built like a tank, is a little bit faster still, has the all-important red ring around the lens barrel (if that might be important) but larger, heavier and much more expensive! A little faster again and the smoothest background blur of them all as you would expect when wide open but shockingly when stopped down not much sharper than the two lenses above it. Also many complaints about variable focussing issues.

There is also the 50mm f/2.5 Macro which goes down to half-lifesize but like the 1.8 above doesn't have USM or full time manual focus and the lens barrel extends while focussing.

I for one am still waiting for Canon to release a great 50mm lens that ticks all the boxes but looking at the trending on recent lenses am worried that if/when they do it might be priced out of reach of many of us...

But as much as I would like a great 50mm I would also like to see an updated Eye Control Focus back in a Canon EOS body as that would upgrade all of my lenses!

-=Glyn=-

Comment

Ok thanks, not sure i want to spend £100 on a repair for it, will just have to focus manually for now! Thanks as always good advice!!

Comment

you couild always try the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. In some areas better than the Canon but bigger, heavier and costs more!

Comment

Working...
                X