Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on a walkabout lens

Hi all

I'm currently the proud owner of a 450D and the 'stock standard' 18-55 & 55-250 kit lenses.

I'm just about to upgrade the body to either the 650D or 60D. I'm currently favouring the 60D. However, I'm trying to determine the best walk about lens. Next year I'm going to Belgium in March for a 3 week cycling holiday. Since I'm riding everywhere weight is an issue. I have an old G10 powershot camera, but think I would do Brugge, Ghent more justice using my DSLR.

Therefore what would be an ideal lens to carry? I really only want to take 1 with me. Any recommendations?

Note, I'm also going to Europe again in August - yes spoiled with two trips in 6 months. So ideally I'd love this lens to be given a good workout on both holidays.

In a perfect world I'd get the 24-105 L. But obviously two overseas trips is stretching the budget.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
    Last edited by Spacejunk; 24-11-2012, 06:16.
    Cheers!

Michael

Re: Advice on a walkabout lens

The 24-105L would be my immediate reaction as that is what I use on my 40D but its predecessor (on my 40D) was the Sigma 17-70 and this was an excellent lens and would definitely be worth a look imho.
    --
    Colin
    http://fotos-espana.com
    http://macameraclub.com
    http://turnspain.com

Comment

the 24-105's often regarded as being a little long at the short end for a crop sensor camera, but I find it works well on my 60D, unless you're into wide open vistas or you're photographing in a confined space.

A good alternative is the 15-85, a cracking lens and significantly less expensive than the 24-105, nicely wide and reasonably long, and almost as sharp. It's light and small which is a bonus if you're travelling.

The 60D's a great upgrade on the 450D too, I did the same in 2011, you won't regret it.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
        the 24-105's often regarded as being a little long at the short end for a crop sensor camera.

A good alternative is the 15-85, a cracking lens and significantly less expensive than the 24-105, nicely wide and reasonably long, and almost as sharp. It's light and small which is a bonus if you're travelling.
        I'd have to agree with S_J_P on this. I considered the 24-105 for my 550D (1.6 crop), and felt 24 was too long for the short end on a crop sensor. I bought the 15-85 for my 550D, and I love it. Quality, sharpness, good IS, reasonably light for travelling. It's the only lens I took to Kos, Greece this summer, no issues.

Just be aware, at the 15mm end, it tends to distort the perspective a little, but this is quickly fixed in PP.

Good luck! All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Well don't let the 17-40L slip through your selection process and don't underestimate the G10 (I still use mine).

But for cycling you may want a GoPro Hero 3 mounted to your helmet!

Just thinking completely outside the box ...
          However I know that the Panasonic FZ200 (and I'm guessing the Canon SX50 as well?) is quite a useful travelling camera ... a mate has one.

Comment

I'd add a vote for the 15-85, being a tourist is one of those times where getting to 24mm (equiv) at the wide end is really handy... it's also lighter than alternates like the 17-55.

If you want a pocket camera the Sony RX100 is on a different planet, alas price-wise too. (Then again it has almost twice the dynamic range of a 1Dx at base ISO, but you pay for that by limited zoom range, about 28-140mm equiv - I'm adding on 40mm as it has a lot of pixels so can crop to zoom.)

Actually on a bang-for-the-buck basis the recently replaced Olympus XZ-1s are pretty good and getting cheaper all the time.

For head-mounted video I might go for the Sony over the GoPro tho...

Comment

The 24-105 is my walk about lens on my 60D.............................
              My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
              © JH Foto
              The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                Just thinking completely outside the box ...
                However I know that the Panasonic FZ200 (and I'm guessing the Canon SX50 as well?) is quite a useful travelling camera ... a mate has one.
                I do quite a bit of cycle touring and rarely take my 7D. I toured in China a few years ago and used a Panasonic FZ50 and was very pleased with the results. I upgraded to a FZ38 which I always carry when out on the bike. These cameras a light, produce good quality images (unless you want to blow them up really large).

Their latest model the FZ200 sounds pretty good:

The Lumix DMC-FZ200 ($599) is Panasonic's flagship super-zoom digital camera. While recent models have been relatively minor upgrades, the FZ200 returns to its roots by featuring a lens with an F2.8 maximum aperture across its entire zoom range. The early models in the FZ series (FZ1 - FZ20) had lenses with constant maximum apertures, but that stopped with the FZ30, launched back in 2005. Last year's DMC-FZ150 had an F2.8 - F5.2 lens, so the lens on the FZ200 is a huge improvement, and the extra brightness should make a real difference at long focal lengths and/or in poor light, allowing you to shoot at lower, less noisy ISO settings.

Dave
                www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Try the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS as a good walkabout lens as S_J_P & mikep state.
                  The 24-105mm is too long on the short end (24mm = 38mm equiv on a crop camera).
                  The 15-85mm (equiv 24-136mm on crop camera) is an ideal focal range plus it has IS so can be hand-held without problems.
                  Being a relatively small lens it can easily be carried around plus it's approx 100g lighter than the 24-105mm.
                  Look at your 18-55mm and image 3mm wider on the short end and 30mm longer on the long end.
                  Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                  Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                    The 24-105mm is too long on the short end (24mm = 38mm equiv on a crop camera).
                    It may not be. Analyse the photos that you take and see what focal length that you are currently using. I found a free tool to do this and checked out my last 15000 photos and found that a very small percentage of them were at the narrow end on my 17-70 but a large number were between 50 and 70 so that is why I went for the 24-105. It is a worthwhile exercise to do before you commit yourself to any new lens. You can then make an informed decision on the focal lengths that you need.
                    --
                    Colin
                    http://fotos-espana.com
                    http://macameraclub.com
                    http://turnspain.com

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      ... It is a worthwhile exercise to do before you commit yourself to any new lens. You can then make an informed decision on the focal lengths that you need.
                      That's precisely what I did some years ago and led to the 100-400L being swapped for a 300L f/4. Such statistical analysis proves very useful to collate other information; most used aperture for example (if you always use f/5.6 and are thinking between the f/4 and f/2.8 variants of the 24-70L and 70-200L ...)

Comment

I fully agree. Thats why I went for the 300mm f4L Prime as against the 70-300mm L lens.When using the 70-200mm lens Plus 1.4TC I found that I was shooting at 280mm (ignoring the crop factor with the 60D).I am a sucker for such statistical analyisis.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Tamron 18-270 vc pzd
                          Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Originally posted by Thndr_strck View Post
                            Tamron 18-270 vc pzd
                            Great if convenience is of paramount importance and quality isn't.

Superzoom's are a compromise, and one which a lot of serious photographers aren't willing to embrace.
                            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

28-300m L ?
                              Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Working...
                              X