300mm 2.8 - un-decided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300mm 2.8 - un-decided

Hey gang, well I couldn't wait any longer and spent a lump of my remaining redundancy on the EF 300mm 2.8 mkII - if I didn't get it now then I would have whittled the money away and never got it (still can't bring myself to actually say the price out loud lol)

Bought mainly for racing (obviously) but also for wildlife, this is where I think I need some help / advise - I was expecting some unbelievably sharp images when attached to my 1Dmk4 and what I got was 'okay' but not mind blowing, I tried with and without the 2x extender with little to no difference between them, IS on and off as well as setting 1, 2 and 3 which didn't seem to make any difference at all and with and without a monopod.

few examples:

#1 - 1/500, f/2.8, iso 200, 300mm - under the bird table

#2 - 1/500, f/3.5, iso 100, 300mm - approx 50% crop

#3 - 1/1000, f/6.3, iso 640, 600mm with mkIII 2x extender cropped in a fair amount (not much I could do about the grass)

Few other bird shots in the nature thread HERE

SO - what am I doing wrong? - or am I just being too critical and not processing as much as I could?

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: 300mm 2.8 - un-decided

It's so obviously a bad lens that I think you should give it to me David.

Maybe the focus is just not quite on the eyes in the first two. There's nothing wrong that a bit more practice won't help.
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

It's so obviously a bad lens that I think you should give it to me David.
      I'm happy to test it out for you for a couple of years just to see if it is just as bad on a 7D

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

It's always difficult judging how well a lens performs unless you have the full size images blown up to 100% to look at, at these sizes the lens looks fine.

I posted a few shots on my first real 'test' of the 300 f2.8 (non IS )here-

It was attached to 7D, so not a direct comparison to your set up, but near enough.

I find the lens is pin-sharp, and a glorious bokeh.

Looking at the rodent shot of yours, there appears to be plenty of detail in around the nose, ears and neck, so looks nowt wrong with that image?
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

You are really looking forward to that party - it's going to be the best party ever - you can hardly wait ................ and it was Ok I suppose!

Why did I ever say yes - no way do I want to go to that party - is there any way I can get out of it ................ and it was brilliant, probably the best party ever!

It's all about expectations. If you hype it up too much, therein lies disappointment. Not bothered one way or another and you are open for a pleasant surprise.

I believe that the Canon 300mm f2.8 is their best lens ever, but it's not going to give you double the sharpness, contrast and colour rendition of your other lenses. The improvements are there, but probably a little more subtle than you may have been hoping for. There is also an element of getting used to the lens to squeeze the best out of it.

Stick with it and you won't be disappointed.
          Colin

Comment

Hi David,

Having looked at your pictures - I think they're good pictures, however, you aren't exactly pushing the lens to its limits. Just about any lens could've taken those pictures. The thing is, you'll notice the difference when you start to push the lens - doing what it was designed for, fast action shots. Like Colin says - you won't be disappointed then. You'll soon notice the number of 'keepers' will increase and also the amount of detail you can drag out of dark areas.

Neil ( a very happy 300mm f2.8 owner )
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

that lens is on my wish list David :)

Comment

You are of course all correct and I should stop expecting 'instant gratification' (at least that what Cory tells me. . . . going to pay for that one lol) Really need to get to a race meet and give it a good go and I am sure it will all be great - patience is a virtue that I wasn't blessed with I'm afraid.

Thanks again one and all

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

David,

Get yourself up to Lincolnshire, guaranteed flying at RAF Coningsby with the Typhoons and Scampton with the Red Arrows, that will give the Lens a good test!!!! Just need to pick a good clear sunny frosty day!!

Regards Paul

Comment

David
                    I have the mk1 300 IS witha 1DMk4. It's fab. Keep the faith. All will be well.

Comment

Hi David,
                      It's a big investment to make,but it is an investment, and one that will last a lifetime.
                      The images on this forum look fine to me, but obviously are causing you some concern I suggest you try shooting something your more familiar with like motor sport you love, then you can compare and see if your images are as clear and sharp as your used too.If your still not happy don't be afraid to send this lens back to canon to check everything is working as it should.
                      I've just received a canon 100 L macro to replace my usm100 macro, after a few test shots i can't say it's any sharper than the usm version but I'm shooting things around the house that i normally wouldn't shoot(due to wet weather) so until i can get out and about and shoot something like dragonflies/butterflies I'll reserve judgement on weather it was worth the extra outlay.

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I just wish I had one.
                        Canon flagship 300mm f/2.8L IS lens. for me it's a dream.

Enjoy David, you deserve it.
                        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X