Where is the best place to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the best place to buy?

I bought my 550D with the 18-55, 50-250 lens kits from Parks Cameras in Jan 2011.

Notwithstanding my fairly recent venture into digital photography, I am seriously considering upgrading lenses as I am in the envious position of coming into a little extra cash 9novel at this time of year) . The beauty of the 550D is it has the ability to take the EF lens and I am therefore of the mindset that to upgrade would be along these lines and towards the L series too. Factored into this decison is the possibility of upgrading my camera body to a 5D eventually.

Is there anywhere that is considered the place to buy?

I am not yet into one particular field but will almost certainly concentrate around the landscape / wildlife areas.

I am seriously considering:

something in the macro range: 100 mm
    something in the wide angle range (open to suggestions)
    something in the zoom range: 100- 400 mm

and keeping in the f2.8 range (if possible)

Any guidance / direction / comparisons would be appreciated - and apologies if this has been done to death already - happy for a link!

Paul

Re: Where is the best place to buy?

I'm old fashioned and would say to build a relationship with your Canon Pro dealer ... might not be as cheap as t'Internet but you get to touch, try and a cup of coffee (well sometimes). In my case it means should I ever need anything servicing I can do that via my Pro Shop ... so no faffing with posting stuff to Canon Service Centre ... they do it.

Some people will import from Hong Kong.

It's your money ... your choice.

Comment

Go and look at what you want in a camera shop then go home Google it and save £100s ..........
      My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
      © JH Foto
      The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Check Camera Price Buster for up to date best prices when you're ready to buy, they show trend-graphs of both best and average price for each piece of equipment too.

Amazon are always worth keeping a very close eye on as they often offer a lens at a ridiculously discounted price for a short period. Flash camera can be competitive too, lots of people on this forum have used them, but I have no experience of them.

If you're not concerned about "grey imports" and warranty issues, then there's a wealth of other places to try (HDEW or OneStop Digital for instance) which are usually around 20% cheaper than the best UK price.

At the end of the day though you may be better building a relationship with an individual local retailer, who will let you try-before-you-buy and will be able to guide you, hopefully avoiding any expensive mistakes. Most seem open to offering deals too, which whilst they may not match the best on-line prices their worth often exceeds the mere monetary value.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I bought a Canon 24-105 L for £602 online..............
          My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
          © JH Foto
          The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

I have bought stuff on the internet without any problems, and saved several hundred pounds. I would suggest that if possible visit your own camera shop and look at the item,feel it, touch it,play around with it and then use the internet to buy it. Most on line sellers are honest.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Your location says Luxembourg, are you still there as if so a lot of the advice is of little use?

The Hong Kong dealers like Digital Rev are okay and cheap, but I don't know how well it goes if you have problems. I bought all the expensive glass from the (now defunct, alas) Pro Shop in the Basement of Jacobs in New Oxford Street. This was handy as I exchanged two L lenses I wasn't happy with after shooting A-B comparisons with others in and near the shop. Do note the vast majority of my Canon lens purchases have been fine.

John

Comment

Paul,

"Something in the Zoom Range: 100 - 400mm"

What an excellent choice!!!, and........I just happen to have one for sale in the Classifieds on this Forum!!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                  Your location says Luxembourg, are you still there as if so a lot of the advice is of little use?
                  John
                  DrJon

Yes, still in Luxembourg. Heading back to UK for Xmas to see family etc so hoping to get into a few stores if possible. A little weary of buying "overseas" due to warranty etc.

That said there seem to be some good deals "state side"

Paul

Comment

I am more comfortable buying from one stop digital and recently i did get a surprice bill from custom tax and when i contacted OSD, they have refunded the amount as it their policy as their price includes all taxes.

Raj
                    Raj
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by J H Foto View Post
                      Go and look at what you want in a camera shop then go home Google it and save £100s ..........
                      That's what happens nowadays which is why some businesses are closing.

macro - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 or 2.8L IS
                      wide - Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 or EF 17-40mm f/4L
                      tele - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS or EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS (see my review)

Price? wherever you want within your budget, Park Camera top price, elsewhere save £s, even £100s
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I have used Procamerashop before with no problems. I see they are now doing the 5D Mk III for £1889.99 !!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X