Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wider angle zoom lens.

My 600d came with the 18-55 lens.
    I could do with something a bit wider for street scenes and inside shots.
    Is anything available without going down the fish-eye road? A bit of zoom would be nice, too.

Thanks.

Re: Wider angle zoom lens.

There are the Sigma 10-20 and Canon 10-22 lenses out there, both get good reviews. I have the Canon 10-22 which I use on my 50D and find it a great lens.

Note however that certainly the Canon 10-22 lens can not be used on a full frame if you should ever buy one, I can not comment on the Sigma.

Comment

Another vote for the Canon 10 - 22mm.

I have used it on a cropped body and it is a super lens, an L series in disguise. It is also wide enough to be used creatively, where a small close object can be dominant in the scene.
      Colin

Comment

Wider angle zoom lens.

I'd recommend the Sigma 8-16mm, after trying the Canon 10-20 and Sigma 10-22, I thought that the Sigma 8-16 offered a usefully wider field of view (around 20% wider) and was significantly sharper than either of the other two.

Of course, a huge downside is the inability to fit filters and its bulk, but it's a great lens . It's a rectilinear lens rather than fisheye and distortion is almost unbelievably well controlled considering the extreme field of view.

The Digital Picture have a good comparison with the other ultra wide angle candidates which is worth a browse.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I had the Sigma 10-20 which was almost on par with the Canon 10-22- Very good and well built as well. I sold it when I got a full frame.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks all.
            Something to look at there.

Comment

The only option if you're thinking of moving to full frame is the Sigma 12-24, just to toss another choice in.
              Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Wider angle zoom lens.

Without doubt the best ( optically) is the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 lens. There is nothing in the Canon range, as yet, that can get anywhere near it for low chromatic distortion and blisteringly sharp even when wide open. You will need to buy a Nikon to canon adapter ring.
                James
                James Boardman Woodend
                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Canon 10 - 22mm

Comment

I use the Canon 10-22mm on crop body but if I didn't have it I would certainly have a look at the Sigma 8-16mm.

Comment

A Canon 10-22 is a very recent addition to my kit and I'm really impressed with it.

Comment

Decisions, decisions!!!!!

Comment

How wide do you need? Is the 15-85 enough? Then you have one better quality lens for everything. Note 15 is a fair bit wider than 17 (74 degrees vs. 67 field of view).

Comment

Good point. I need to look through some to see if the difference is enough.

Comment

Wider angle zoom lens.

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                              How wide do you need? Is the 15-85 enough? Then you have one better quality lens for everything. Note 15 is a fair bit wider than 17 (74 degrees vs. 67 field of view).
                              Now there's an idea, the 15-85's a cracking lens for the money (and only £439 at Park Cameras with Canon's cash back and the "NL-EF1585" code)

It's almost 20% wider than 18mm, and is usefully longer than the ubiquitous 18-55. Stopped down a stop or two it'll give L series glass a run for its money too.

I went for exactly that option after my 18-55 and a brief flirtation with a Sigma 18-250, and only upgraded to L series glass after I threw it on the floor due to carelessness. Despite being besotted with my 17-40 and 24-105, I miss the all round wholesomeness of my 15-85 on a crop sensor body.
                              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                              X