Image stabilised lenses(canon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image stabilised lenses(canon)

Hope this is the right place to post this question, on certain canon lenses that I have and others, I am sure I have seen somewhere that certain of these lenses sense when they are tripod mounted, if this is so how do they know that they are tripod mounted, sorry if this sounds a daft question just intriged to know,

thanks in advance,Clive.

Re: Image stabilised lenses(canon)

Hi Clive

The movement sensor detects that there is no movement and therefore does not activate the Gyro's. The earliest IS lenses enabled the IS function, regardless of whether it was on a tripod, which is why you should switch IS off when using a tripod with those lenses.

From memory, the following need the IS switched off when using a tripod:

70 - 200 f2.8 IS
    70 - 300 IS
    70 - 300 DO IS
    100 - 400 IS
    28 - 300 IS

All of the white L series telephoto's except the 800mm f5.6 IS and the 200mm f2 IS.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Have you access to EOS Magazine - Oct to December 2007 - not quite all is explained though it confirms this feature exists.
      Some lenses apparently have tripod sensing - because earlier IS lenses made the viewfinder image shake - so Canon added this feature.
      It doesn't say how it detects the tripod - I would guess it just senses stillness and switches the IS mechanism off below a certain threshold of vibration.
      I just happened to read that article this morning.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Many thanks for your reply,s it all makes sense now, I think I will just turn it off any way whilst it is tripod mounted and have done with it,thanks once again.

best regards,Clive.

Comment

Working...
        X