70-200 F4 L is & 1.4 x converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70-200 F4 L is & 1.4 x converter?

Hi sorry to seem a bit dumb ,but is it possible to use a 1.4 times converter with this lens?.
    Alternatively I have considered either 100-400L is , or a 300mm F4 to get that extra reach that the 70-200 can't do.
    any suggestions gratefully received.

many thanks

Dave

Re: 70-200 F4 L is & 1.4 x converter?

Yes; you can use BOTH the 1.4x AND the 2x - BUT NOTE...

With the 1.4x, you lose one-stop and the lens becomes a f/5.6, AND retains autofocus...

With the 2x, you lose two-stops and the lens becomes a f/8 - manual focus only...

I frequently use the 70-200 f/4, plus a 1.4x as a lighter weight option than the 100-400, but, of course, you don't get the same reach... optically, I have been very happy with the 70-200, plus 1.4 combo...

The 100-400 is an excellent lens, a tad more, pricewise, than the 70-200 (plain f/4L) +1.4 combo, (but not much if you're looking at the f/4: IS) whilst the 300 f/4 will blow the 70-200+1.4 combo out of the water, but then you sacrifice range for a fixed focal length!

No easy options; really depends on what you primarily need/want to use the lens for. If it's wildlife, then my personal preference (as a single lens choice) would be for the 100-400. You wouldn't be dissapointed...

Hope that helps;

Good luck...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

So it looks like i'll be going for the 1.4 times converter to use with my 70-200L is, or hope that santa will spend the extra
      money and let me have the 100-400.
      Thanks

Comment

Yep I've got 70-200 f2.8 and use 1.4 converter with mine.
        Cliff Hobbs
        Wannabe Architectural Photographer - Always willing to listen and learn

Comment

I am looking to get 1.4x converter for my 70-200 2.8 IS L but i also have a 24-70 2.8L, can I use it on the 24-70?

Comment

Originally posted by justgettingstarted View Post
            ...but i also have a 24-70 2.8L, can I use it on the 24-70?
            NO...

Here is a list of compatible lenses... [click link]
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by dangermouse View Post
              Hi sorry to seem a bit dumb ,but is it possible to use a 1.4 times converter with this lens?.
              Alternatively I have considered either 100-400L is , or a 300mm F4 to get that extra reach that the 70-200 can't do.
              any suggestions gratefully received.

many thanks

Dave
              Have you also considered the Sigma 120-400mm; it has come out better than the Canon 100-400mm in a couple of tests and ( according to said tests), handles better.- and only round about £600.00!
              Last edited by collywobbles; 02-01-2010, 16:30.

Comment

No I hadn't but thank you for giving me yet another option, decisions, decisions !!!!
                which tests are you referring to as I have amateur photographer every week and also subscribe to practical photography, and digital Photo and can't remember any tests regarding the above lens ( could be brain fade on my part).

Any suggestions gratefully accepted, as I've tried the obligatory children's school christmas Panto thing today, with the 70-200 L is and even at the max of F4 at ISO 1600 could only manage 1/25th second which gave acceptable results, but oh for the extra reach I would have liked.

Thanks
                Dave

Comment

...the 70-200 L is and even at the max of F4 at ISO 1600 could only manage 1/25th second which gave acceptable results, but oh for the extra reach I would have liked.
                  Aaaahhh - but with extra reach comes slower aperture - unless you can fork out for a super fast (and super expensive) 300mm f/2.8 - c. £3700+!

Most "regular" xxx-400mm's are f/5.6 at best at the long end...

As you say - decisions, decisions...

Comment

Thank you for all the advice, but after reading as many reviews as I could manage over the last few days I have finally taken the plunge and purchased the 300mm F4 is, and will probably get the 1.4 times converter later for a bit more reach, but as I use a 40D this gives me a 480mm F4 equivalent which I am hoping will satisfy my requirements, but as with all things photographic there will always be something that bit better (and pricier) to make you drool
                    over , just have to be satisfied that I'm lucky enough to have a wife "who understands".....

Cheers
                    Dave

Comment

.....just have to be satisfied that I'm lucky enough to have a wife "who understands".....
                      Thow art indeed fortunate amongst men!

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

I wouldnt bother with the 100 - 400 afterwards go straight for the 300F4 and the converter great combination IMHO

Comment

300 f2.8 or 300 f4 or 400 f5.6 are all great with 1.4x TC, i don't recommend to use those converters with the zoom even AF working and fine results, still there is losing in IQ over the primes.

Comment

Hi Colin,
                            Yes I am very lucky that the other half understands, however I'm not stupid enough to push my luck too far, as I need to sleep at sometime and don't fancy never waking up again, the added bonus for the wife of course is that she will most likely be wanting to try it out on her camera as well. :0)

Comment

I have the 100-400 and 200f4 with the 1.4. I do a lot of bush walking and don't often carry the 100-400 due to weight issues. The 70-200 is absolutely beautiful on its own and with the 1.4 I don't really notice any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X