Polarisers and nd grads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polarisers and nd grads

Dont or cant really see where to post this so have gone for here,feel free to move if in wrong section. My question is, I see a lot of pictures where the details say that a cpl and nd grad has been used, here comes the silly bit,but as I dont know I will ask,does it matter wether or which way they are placed ie poloriser first and then nd grad or visa versa, from the lens, hope that doesnt sound too daft but seriously dont know and have always wanted to ask.

best regards,Clive.

Re: Polarisers and nd grads

Hello Clive

I don't think it does.

Holding manually, I have used them both ways and not noticed any difference. Using the proper filter holders, they all seem to be engineered so that the pl is closest to the lens, with the ND grads, or other filters, furthest away from the lens.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for that,I dont have the square shaped ones as of yet,as it is only recently that I have started using "nd grads", and they are the cicular ones that screw into the front of the lens, I realise that once this is on and then a circular polariser I may have to watch out for vignetting but up to recently didnt realise that people were using both so I will now give it a go, I suppose it may be a little fidly trying to twist both to the correct position I want but look forward to trying and seeing the results, many thanks for your help,

best regards,Clive.

Comment

Mmmmm - I've seen circular ND filters, but never a circular ND Grad - perhaps I havn't looked!

I would think that a circular ND Grad was VERY limiting as to where you can place the line of the graduation - unlike a square one which can be positioned almost infinitely...

A typical setup would be for the circular polarizer to be mounted first - directly onto the lens, then the [square] filter holder on top of that - UNLESS - you have a circular polarizer which fits a filter-holder system... but I think they tend to be pretty expensive...

And you're right, a series of circular filters mounted would almost certainly generate some vignetting - certainly at wider settings - so make sure you remove any UV or Skylight filters first that you might use for lens protection...
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Working...
        X