Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DGX for Canon....Any Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DGX for Canon....Any Thoughts?

As with the sppedlight post, I am looking into getting a TC. I know very little about them, so any advice would be great. I am looking at this one to be used with my 70-300f4L primarily. Does a 1.4x mean a 1.4 magnification? So, because I have a crop sensor, does this mean my 200 will go to a 448mm? (200x1.4x1.6) Any help most welcomed, both with what to look for in a TC, and what are the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance,
    Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DGX for Canon....Any Thoughts?

Originally posted by digiman View Post
    I am looking at this one to be used with my 70-300f4L primarily. Does a 1.4x mean a 1.4 magnification? So, because I have a crop sensor, does this mean my 200 will go to a 448mm? (200x1.4x1.6)
    Hi Garry, in short, yes, you are correct. A 1.4 provides 1.4 magnification throughout the zoom range. So a 70-200 becomes 98-280.

Obviously, a 1.6 crop sensor camera doesn't change the focal length of a lens, so a 70-200 will still be a 70-200 on a crop or FF camera. What a 1.6 crop camera does do, is provide the effect of having magnified the focal range, as you only capture a smaller target area of the picture, thus when blown up to the size of a computer screen for example, you have less subject matter in the frame than a FF camera would, so your 1.6 subject 'appears' larger.
    (This is why many people shoot wildlife on a crop, but Landscapes on a FF - if you have the money for both!).

I have the Kenko TC you mention, and am very happy with it, and can recommend it. Just ensure it will work on the lenses you want to put it on - a quick Google search should help you out there.

Pros, as above - increases your focal range, so better reach. Cons, you lose 1 F stop for a 1.4 x TC, and 2 F stops for a 2 x TC. So if a shot was going to be at F5.6, with a 1.4 and same other settings, you'd need F8. For brighter days, it can work quite well, but as you can see, it does need more light. That's about the only trade off AFAIC.

Quality (IQ) will be 'slightly' down because you placing more galls between subject and sensor, but for what I use my shots for (personal use, PC display usually), it's not really too noticeable.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks for a great reply Mike. I did know that the crop didn't extend the focal length, I just worded my question quite badly! Thanks so much for your reply. Think I will put it on my short list of gear. I will check out compatibility first though. I have read that sometimes the autofocus wont work properly at certain aperture ranges. Also, an advantage of this against the Canon is it can be used with ef-s lenses, if I so desire!

Thanks again Mike,

Garry

Comment

No problem!

FYI - I've not noticed the AF issue, although some have. On some of the bigger lenses, AF won't work at all, but on the more 'sensible' lenses that you and I would use, it may be slower.

And yes, I forgot to add that the converter you listed DOES work on EF-S lenses.

Cheers, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

A 70-300mm F4-5.6 becomes 98-420 F5.6-8.0, and that’s wide open.

I would arrange a test if at all possible, you’d need plenty of light or high ISOs for reasonably fast shutter speeds in the condtions we get in the UK 9 or 10 months of the year.

It seems to me there’s a good reason why no Canon TC is compatible with this lens.

Thinking out loud, if you need that focal length a 1.4 TC gives.
          A 100-400 L might be a better option than a 70-300 nobbled (imho) with a 3rd party TC.

Trev

Comment

My OP should have said 70-200f4L! Thanks for the input Trev. All things to consider. At the moment, I am experimenting a lot with different types of photography, so all input and opinions are welcome

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
              My OP should have said 70-200f4L! Thanks for the input Trev.
              You're welcome Garry, sorry about the mixup over lens models
              Trev

Comment

Working...
              X