EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM

I'm very new to photogrpahy (3 weeks ago I didn't know the difference between an apeture and a lens cap lol) but it's been something I've wanted to get into for a long time, just never had the time.

After asking a mate what would be a good starter option for around £1k he recommended the Canon EOS 60D with the (seemingly highly regarded) EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM. (Came in at £1177 less cash back so went over budget!).

I was instantly hooked so no sooner had I started snapping and I was looking for my next lens and accessories. Low light capbility and a decent zoom would be important to me as I would take close up shots of sports action indoors without flash (American pool and snooker). Having done my research I realised the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM mark 2 was the way to go.... ouch said my wallet and wow said my friends when they saw the pictures!

Family portraits and general fun stuff at parties etc. (also potentially in low light) was another candidate so, given all the hype I got from my pal about the quality and value for money of primes I settled for the Canon EF 50mm F.14 USM.

So now I'm starting to think maybe I should just have blown the bank and gone straight for a FF, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'll almost certainly do that at some point but I already blew nearly all my budget. So I'll now stick to EF and preferable L lenses in future.

Now to my question... It seems that despite owning 3 excellant and versatile lenses the reviews seem to suggest none of the above seem capable of decent macro shots. Is this really true?

I've looked at the EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens and it sounds awesome. But it's a lot of cash and I'd hope it would be versatile enough to cover other bases too. I know people say its a great portrait lens but at 100mm and opened up fully would it really out-perform the 70-200mm F2.8L IS mark 2? If not then I guess all I would be getting is macro capability?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Re: EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM

Here's a quick one I took yesterday with the 70-200
    Last edited by Riggers; 22-04-2013, 20:31.

Comment

Hello Lee and welcome.

If the budget is badly bruised, look at the 100mm f2.8 macro. Not L series and no IS, but nearly half the price and I have never needed IS on a macro lens. I still use this lens and have never felt the need to trade it in for the newer more expensive L version. In fact, it is my only non L lens.
      Colin

Comment

Both the 100mm f2.8 macro lenses are great, I use the L version as a short prime telephoto, portrait lens which it is great for and macro work, it is very very sharp and the IQ is brilliant.

The question is would you use it as a stand alone prime when you are used to zooms is something only you can answer but for macro and general use it does take some beating.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Lee

Tom

Comment

Hello Lee and welcome to the forum.
            You have definitely got the photographic bug, and after only 3 weeks your bank balance knows it.
            These lenses don't come cheap and "L" are even more expensive.

The Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS is a very desirable lens but if you don't need IS (image stabiliser) then any of the macro lenses are superb.
            When I say "any" I mean Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 105mm f2.8 APO Macro EX DG, Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP Di Macro, Tokina 100mm f2.8 AT-X Macro, all these macro lenses will give excellent 1:1 macro results. It does not have to be Canon brand but the results can be as impressive.

Try using your 50mm f/1.4 set at aperture f/2.8 or f/4 and take some images of flowers, then do the same with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens. You may be pleasantly surprised at the results.
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and advice guys.

I'll try some shots with my existing lenses but I won't really have anything to compare them to.

With regards to going Canon or other brand or even whether to go L/IS or not price would be a factor if the differences were huge but I'm also aware I can save in the long run by buying the right equipment now and look after it for a very long time. So looking at the Canon 100mm (on Wex) the difference between the L series IS version and the cheaper one (after cashback) is £187 so given that I expect this to be a long term hobby I'd go for the better lense every time.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                Thanks for the welcome and advice guys.

I'll try some shots with my existing lenses but I won't really have anything to compare them to.

With regards to going Canon or other brand or even whether to go L/IS or not price would be a factor if the differences were huge but I'm also aware I can save in the long run by buying the right equipment now and look after it for a very long time. So looking at the Canon 100mm (on Wex) the difference between the L series IS version and the cheaper one (after cashback) is £187 so given that I expect this to be a long term hobby I'd go for the better lense every time.
                There is little or no different in optical quality between the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro or the L IS version; and nothing noticeable between the Canon macro lenses and those of 3rd-party manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron or Tokina macro lenses.
                Generally macro photography is done in conjunction with using a tripod.
                I did love the Canon100mm f/2.8 L IS lens though, especially hand-held when photographing butterflies where the IS was useful.
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

A belated hi Lee!

You've got yourself a nice set of glass already, and the EF 100 f/2.8L would be a great addition, it's an absolute belter of a lens and extremely sharp, staggeringly so in fact, and when Amazon do one of their deals also surprisingly affordable (I paid just £414 for mine) but whether it'll offer you value for money is another matter as you've already got a fast L tele-zoom so it's short-tele appeal is limited.

If I were you I'd buy a set of extension tubes for your 50mm f/1.4 (I'm not sure whether they'd work with the 70-200?), which will give you the macro magnification you yearn for whilst using your existing (and excellent quality) glass. Check out here for a guide to their use.

If you're after shots of insects then the 50mm focal length may be a little limiting (you'll have to approach them closely to obtain the desired magnification), but for anything tripod-based under controlled conditions it'll work fine. Note that with macro the focal-length affects the lens to subject distance and how out of focus the background is, and not the magnification factor (unless you're using extension tubes, where the focal length does imact the magnification, it's just so complicated!)
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Hey it's funny you should say that as today I've been looking at the possibility of extension tubes with my 50mm F1.4. Sounds like an excellant compromise although I'm not good with compromises so it's just given me more to think about lol.

Its a bit like when I entered the realm of 'should I use a UV or clear filter to protect my shiny new equipment?'... Reading all the opinions one by one I thought... 'yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no'. I settled on no because my hoods and very careful risk-based approach will get me through :)

So the extension tube has been 'Added to basket' but I've not hit checkout yet. Trouble is the 100mm L is already in the basket too lol.

Comment

If you have the cash you can always use the extension rings with the 100 macro

Comment

Haha Muscat. That helps a lot lol

Comment

Just one more question... What's the difference between using a close-up lens such as Canon 500D and an extension tube such as Canon EF 25 II?

Comment

So now I'm starting to think maybe I should just have blown the bank and gone straight for a FF
                            I'm quite new to photography too, I'd never even heard of FF & Crop sensors.
                            Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                            http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                            https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                              Hey it's funny you should say that as today I've been looking at the possibility of extension tubes with my 50mm F1.4. Sounds like an excellant compromise although I'm not good with compromises so it's just given me more to think about lol.

Its a bit like when I entered the realm of 'should I use a UV or clear filter to protect my shiny new equipment?'... Reading all the opinions one by one I thought... 'yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no'. I settled on no because my hoods and very careful risk-based approach will get me through :)

So the extension tube has been 'Added to basket' but I've not hit checkout yet. Trouble is the 100mm L is already in the basket too lol.
                              I used my 50mm 1.8 with ext tubes for a wee while. You need to stop down to about f10 or so using the DOF button trick but be prepared to not even see anything through the viewfinder unless it's lit by the sun directly.

I used a hot flash (Yongnuo) with a handmade softbox for a wee while and the results were ok. Then I started noticing a lot of focus stacking was helpful in the achievement of a great macro image and I kind of gave up.

With the EXT tubes plan you tend to have a very small DOF even at f10 and you move the camera in and out to get focus.

A lot of people put a reversing ring on a kit lens then mount the 50mm backward on the reversing ring and it gets great results.

Some will agree. You are opening a massive world getting into macro work lol However like anything, you must first understand your goal before you can buy the kit.
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X