Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens for a group shot of 6 adults

Hey folks,

On buying and selling over the last few weeks I left myself with a bit of a predicament.

In order to raise more funds for the 7D I had to put my kit lens (18-55) in with the sale of the 600D. I didn't bother me at the time but my good lady's family have had some bad news about the family cat and want a group shot of them all together. Poor wee guy has cancer and has been in the family for 15 years.

While I thought the kit lens was 'ok' I was wanting your advice on a cheap and cheerful lens I could pick up on fleabay.

I doubt I'm going to be needing it much after this, as I have my eye on something else for later, however, I can't afford a 17-55 2.8 just now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Lens for a group shot of 6 adults

Just a thought. Would you not be better off renting a good quality lens for a couple of days?
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
      Just a thought. Would you not be better off renting a good quality lens for a couple of days?
      That is a great idea, the alternative is either borrow a lens of someone or buy another 18-55mm kit lens.
      Alternately take a photo in a garden using your 70-300mm lens, you only need to take a few steps back.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I appreciate I sounded probably very much like a total beginner with this question, however I was under the impression they wanted the shot indoors. I panicked and thought wider angle, however outdoors should suit it better. I think I might borrow my pals Sigma 30mm 1.4. I've used it before and it's a belter of a lens.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
          I appreciate I sounded probably very much like a total beginner with this question, however I was under the impression they wanted the shot indoors. I panicked and thought wider angle, however outdoors should suit it better. I think I might borrow my pals Sigma 30mm 1.4. I've used it before and it's a belter of a lens.
          sorted

flickr

Comment

Your nifty fifty should deal with that OK. You don't want the possible distortion of a wide angle, so just take a step or two back and use the nifty.
            Colin

Comment

I was also going to suggest a 50mm
              Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

....Or the 40mm pancake? By all accounts it's a cracker!

Comment

To update, my GF's family were quite happy with singular shots of them with the cat. It worked out quite well and the light was pretty poor and they didn't want a light on so between ISO1600 & ISO6400 was the order of the day. I struggled a bit with DOF and if I went anywhere near the aperture I needed the exposure was too bad.

The nifty fifty done it's job but to be honest something with IS would really have helped a lot. I could really start to see the price tag of a 17-55 2.8 not really being much of an issue at the weekend lol

Anyway here is a little shot of something after some lengthy post processing work.

Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

That is a delightful shot Paul and I am sure that Mrs P is delighted. It shows her and "Purdy Tat" to good advantage.
                    Colin

Comment

You must be pleased with that shot Paul.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                        You must be pleased with that shot Paul.
                        Whole set was pretty much like this, and she's pleased so that's all that matters :)
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Great image, well done
                          Peter

Feel free to browse my
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Well done Paul.
                            Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                            http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                            https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X