Lens Only Faulty Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Only Faulty Outdoors

I'm on the verge of sending my EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II to Canon for them to look at it, but I thought I'd stick the issue on here and see others thoughts/experiences on it, before I send it away.
    On 3 of the occasions that I have taken my lens outside with it attached to my 550D it has given up on me; the exposure meter shows the aperture as 0.0 and when I press the shutter it doesn't take a photo or reset, it just returns the following error message 'Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.'
    I have checked the contacts and they appear to be fine, I've switched lenses on site and the others work with no issue, turning the camera off and on again doesn't reset the issue either. Once I return home the lens will return to normal working order and there is no sign of the earlier issue.
    This has all been while it has been mild and slightly windy outside. It doesn't seem to be time related, the other day I had the camera out for approximately 2 hours and took several photos before it became faulty.

So, does anyone have any thoughts?
    Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Re: Lens Only Faulty Outdoors

To clean the contact, you need one of the old fashioned pencil erasers, the green ones. They were actually for Biro, but for our purposes, stiffer and not so rubbery. Use one of those on the contacts and it should sort it out.
    Colin

Comment

I tried cleaning the contacts with a modern soft rubber, I'll have to find a harder rubber and give it another try; I just find it a little strange that it only happens when I go outside, which led me to think that it wasn't the contacts.
      Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Comment

You might also like to look how solid the lens sits in the mount. If there is some wobble or give, then the contacts will not sit true and will give you the communications message.

Comment

That's a strange fault. Are you able to take the lens outdoors again, but on a borrowed camera, just to be sure that it is a lens issue and not some sort of peculiarity with your camera?
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thinking about it that could possibly be an issue, but I'll need to look in to it some more; the reason I say this is that the rear lens cap doesn't have snug fit, which I did some searching on the web when I got the lens and appeared to be quite a common issue without any consequences.

Comment

Working...
            X