Which telephoto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which telephoto?

As I explained in an earlier thread I have been having problems holding the AF spot on a small static bird using the non-IS EF 400mm f5.6L. Within the price range I can justify it is probably the best lens for BIF as I use a fast shutter speed but for smaller less mobile objects I often cannot get the spot to stay on the target long enough - therefore missing some important shots. So I have decided to sell the 400 to part fund the purchase of an IS lens. I still need the ability to stretch to 400mm so as I see it my options for use with the 7D are:

1. EF 300mm f4 L IS USM + 1.4x
    2. EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    3. EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II + 2x

All three give me the 400mm I desire plus IS plus flexibility although the last option is around 2x the price of the others (I already own a 1.4x)

My first choice would be no.1 (closer MFD as well) but what do folks recommend?

Thanks

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Re: Which telephoto?

Well my understanding is that with a 2x you loss 2 stops of light and a IS compensates for Approx 2 Stops, so I don't think you would be gaining much on the last option. But that is just my Opinion.

Tom

Comment

David, as I use the 300mm f4L IS USM + 1.4TC as my favourite combination I would recommend that to you, without any hesitation. They seem made for each other & the AF is very smooth and precise. Of course that is my opinion again!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        David, as I use the 300mm f4L IS USM + 1.4TC as my favourite combination I would recommend that to you
        This is a proven combination, so I agree with Nat
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Of your choices I also agree with Nat and Stephen the 300f4 with 1.4x is a great combo, use this combo all the time
          All the best
          Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

Another vote for the 300mm + 1.4.

This combination is Stan's set up for wildlife and macro and he does very well with it, but don't tell him I said so!
            Colin

Comment

I use a 200 F/2.8 with the 1.4 and 2

- lightweight
              - good pictures

The 100-400 and 70-100 f2.8 are on the heavy side

I had thought about the 300, but my 200 arrangement gives me 3 options for a more versatile use
              Last edited by briansquibb; 07-05-2013, 06:18.
              ef-r

Comment

Hi

A simpler solution might be a mono-pod and a ball head!

The 100-400 is an older implementation of IS (2 stops? would have to check whether 2 modes of IS or 1), and the 70-200 weighs quite a bit, so keeping the focus could again be an issue!

I agree the 300mm F4 + 1.4 is a proven match to a 7D, so that would be the route I'd take!

Mike
                Last edited by mikep; 07-05-2013, 11:35.
                flickr
                5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

and he does very well with it, but don't tell him I said so!
                  I heard that

The best combination is going to be the 300 f4 and 1.4x, with which most of mine and Dee's wildlife shots are taken. I also have the 70-200 f 2.8 L IS ( original version) which also works well with the 1.4 but i vary rarely use the 2x with it unless the light is really good

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    I use a 200 F/2.8 with the 1.4 and 2

- lightweight
                    - good pictures

The 100-400 and 70-100 f2.8 are on the heavy side

I had thought about the 300, but my 200 arrangement gives me 3 options for a more versatile use
                    I use the same set up as Brian and find it works very well. The only thing I notice is that when using the 2x it is slightly slower, on occasions, at locking on to the subject.

Dave
                    www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Hi David,

I would totally agree with Stan and Nathaniel choice. I have had my EF300 f4 IS USM for about a week now and I haven't been disappointed with the results. The MFD is a lot closer than the 70-200 which i have found to be very useful. It is still early days yet and still getting used to using the lens but it works very well on the 7D. It has only 2 stops IS but so far I haven't found this to be a problem. Weight wise it is the lightest combination of the three. I hope you find this helpful.
                      Good luck with your choice.

Dave.
                      www.microwyred.co.uk

Comment

Another vote for the 300 f/4 plus 1.4x when I need reach, although I tend to use the 70-200 f/2.8 Mark II plus 1.4x more often.

But don't let the lack of IS (400 f/5.6) sway your decision if your targets are moving [But with your static birds it's probably essential]. When I tested the 300 f/4, 100-400 and 400 f/5.6 I concluded the 400 had the best IQ, the zoom the most versatile and the 300 the ability to take an extender without loosing AF. Horses for courses ... I started with the zoom, then the 300 ... and may swap for a 400 at some point.

Just my thoughts ... but you need to play with the lenses you are considering before you buy ... a Canon Pro dealer should facilitate this for you.

Comment

Off the OP topic, but I'm looking at a 300 f4+2x tc on my 5d3. Any ideas ?
                          Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

(Edited - slightly off topic so started new thread)
                            Last edited by Riggers; 15-05-2013, 17:56.
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Thndr_strck View Post
                              Off the OP topic, but I'm looking at a 300 f4+2x tc on my 5d3. Any ideas ?
                              Then your maximum aperture would be f/8.0; but then again, I understand that there is firmware coming to enable the 5D Mk III to focus at f/8.0

Comment

Working...
                              X