1.2m or 3m? 70-200mm F4L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.2m or 3m? 70-200mm F4L

I have two settings on my 70-200mm F4L USM lens, one for 1.2m - infinity and one for 3m - infinity. I use 1.2m as I believe it allows me to get closer? I then question why there is even an option for 3m, so I have decided there must be an advantage to using 3m in certain situations but I just can't figure out what it would be. Does it give sharper images or something?

Damian
    Last edited by dkane95; 12-05-2013, 11:02.

Re: 1.2m or 3m? 70-200mm F4L

The 3m - infinity is to allow for faster focusing when the subject is 3m or further away.
    It basically does not search between 1.2m and 3m. Quite a useful addition.
    The only downside is trying to focus on something closer when you have selected 3m - infinity.
    The feature is useful especially if shooting birds in flight that are over 3m away.
    Faster focusing is what it is basically for.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

The difference is for speed of focus - nothing else
      ef-r

Comment

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that for me :) I'll be leaving it at 1.2m then.

Comment

I'll be leaving it at 1.2m then.
          No. Leave it at 3m and just change it when you need to focus as close as 1.2m. The difference in focussing speed is quite considerable and well worth limiting it to 3m. You can be talking of a 50% improvement, well worth having.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            No. Leave it at 3m and just change it when you need to focus as close as 1.2m. The difference in focussing speed is quite considerable and well worth limiting it to 3m. You can be talking of a 50% improvement, well worth having.
            Totally agree with Colin. I have spent a lot of time with this lens, trying various experiments, and, there is a considerable difference in focus time, once you get used to it. Especially when you are trying to pick out a specific point in the distance, when there is a lot of stuff in the foreground. Chances are, you'll mostly be using this lens for subjects further away than 3m, so it just cuts out all the stuff you don't want.

A fantastic lens by the way, if it's new to you. You'll love it!

Garry
            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Hi Damian,

I take a lot of sport images especially Lacrosse which is incredibly fast. When the game is on I use 3m as they run from one end of the field to the other so quickly I get sharper images. If I am messing with it taking images of the girls at half time etc I put it onto 1.2m

Joanne
              To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

dk;
                How do you find your 70-200 on faraway subjects using 200mm? Mine is great on reasonable close subjects , say up to 30m, but for lots of landscape subjects, I find the lens does not focus easily or well irrespective of contrast. I use min 1/640 sec to eliminate camera shake. (At about 160mm its absolutely pin sharp though.)

Comment

It is only the first picture that will have slow focus

Personally I always have them pm the shortest focus range because I have found that I am more like to have the object too close rather than be caught out by the slower first focus
                  ef-r

Comment

Working...
                  X