Canon EF-S 10-22mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EF-S 10-22mm

I've read some reviews and also seen the thread on here comparing various UWAs but I just wondered if anyone has any first hand experience and feedback about this lens?
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm

There are numerous users of this lens who absolutely swear by it, I on the other hand couldn't get on with it when I tried it, there's just too much distortion and softness at the edges. I toyed briefly with the Sigma 10-20mm, but that's similarly afflicted (albeit at half the outlay!) before settling on a Sigma 8-16 which at 10mm is so much sharper across the frame that either of the other offerings, plus it has the benefit of offering a 20% wider field of view when needed (and even at 8mm the distortion and softness is less than that I saw at 10mm on the other two optics). Of course, the inability to attach a filter may be a deal-breaker for some, but I adore it!
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I have one. I'm a fan, very, very pleased with it.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I have always been a fan of the Canon 10 - 22mm and used to own one before I went exclusively full frame. Because of likelihood of distortion, you need to get used to it and learn how to use it well. It can be very creative, letting small foreground object dominate the shot and providing a different perspective.
        Colin

Comment

Love mine, so much so that I've kept it even after going full-frame in case I might use it again some day in the future. The corners may well be better than the 14L mkII (on full frame) when wide open.

However I now have the 8-15 and for really going wide it's just amazing. Stupidly sharp (you have to look carefully at the MTF plot to see the lines running along the very top edge). You do get a fair few bonus purple bits but it's easy to get rid of them. Plus half the price of the 14L, which is going to get a lot less use. I'll write a long article on it sometime soon, but I'm very busy this week. I'm not sure how useful it is on a crop sensor, as you just get a 180 degree diagonal fisheye, plus the distortion never really goes away. I'd say if you have to go wide the 10-22 is a great way to do it.

UWAs are very creative lenses, but as Colin says part of the trick is working out how to use them and not just getting pics with acres of empty spaces. Oh and also not walking into (or off) stuff, you're closer than it looks through the viewfinder!

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
            ....Oh and also not walking into (or off) stuff, you're closer than it looks through the viewfinder!
            That really did make me chuckle.

Thanks guys. The little wide baby is on it's way. Can't wait to get to grips with it. Now that really is my last lens purchase for a very long time... honest.
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Now that really is my last lens purchase for a very long time... honest.
              Hey, it's us you are talking to ................ not Mrs R.
              Colin

Comment

Having bought four lenses (plus a body) since 4th March I'm also done with lens buying for the year... err... probably... (E&OE)

Comment

BTW sometimes some empty space works... IMHO...
                  Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Comment

Working...
                  X