EF 16-35 II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 16-35 II

After a long struggle I've managed to get enough to treat meself to a 16-35 II lens! I can't wait!

I've read good reports regarding the lens and with the exif data attached to some of your images I suspect the quality will be as expected.

I have the 17-40 at present, that may be for sale, not sure yet. That does produce excellent quality images, but I may need to move that on to fund the 16-35.

Sorry for blubbing but I’m really excited!!
    The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Re: EF 16-35 II

Congratulations, you can't beat having a new piece of kit. Looking forward to seeing the results.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

You have to ask yourself if you really need the extra stop and what does your 17-40 not give you that the 16-35 will?
      Bob Turner
      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I hope it gives you many years of happy photography !

Comment

Is there a big difference between the two in terms of quality? I was looking at some short lens such as the 17mm to go with my 24mm

It would also be interesting to know if this is for ff or 1.6 cameras
          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
            Is there a big difference between the two in terms of quality? I was looking at some short lens such as the 17mm to go with my 24mm

It would also be interesting to know if this is for ff or 1.6 cameras
            This is a full frame lens, on an APS-c camera body it will produce a 25.6 - 56 range.

At the end of the day, they are both fines lenses. Each with strengths and weaknesses.

The 16-35 is an excellent lens, good at low light, hand held, ultra-wide shooting, and arguably better quality at f4.0. Best for FF camera and just an odd filter size, 82mm.

The 17-40 is also an excellent lens, a slightly larger focal length range and great strengths are low cost, and excellent performance when stopped down. A little soft at the corners wide open but this improves when stopped down.

I chose the 16-35 due to the ‘improved’ performance over the 17-40, but you do have to be honest and include the 15% of “I want one” as opposed to “I need one”!
            The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

I'm jealous!

Despite the 15% of "I want one" I just couldn't justify the price-premium over the 17-40 cost, and now I can't love the 17-40 as it wasn't really the lens I wanted. I applaud you for allowing your heart a say in the decision making process! Feeling comfortable with the equipment, both practically and emotionally goes a long way to producing stunning images.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
              X