Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EF-S 17-85 Err01 being fixed

Hey folks,

Some people will know that I bought a Canon EF-S 17-85mm lens for £50. A bargain you might say? Hmm not really, I knew it was broken, hence the price. I contacted a company in Glasgow, with the recommendation from someone on here, and they said it would cost £96+VAT to fit a new IRIS.

I thought hmmm, I wonder.... A quick search around ebay and I got a new aperture cable for £2, and thought, awesome I could so fix this myself.

Day three: Got the cable, and rushed home to dismantle and fit new cable and Bobs your uncle.

NOPE!!

Soldering job was a disaster, and I couldn't get it back together. So humbly I run off to said place in Glasgow today and get hit with a bill of £140+VAT because I took it apart and they can't give me it back for 4 weeks.

Pretty annoyed with myself, but a lesson learned.

1. Never buy second hand lenses
    2. If you are. Make sure it's a lens you really want.
    3. Never try to repair it yourself.

Granted when I was able to use it, I found the focal range absolutely fantastic, so i'm glad It'll be fixed, just not happy with the timescale.

When I was sitting in the waiting room of the place there was an EOS Magazine mag in the waiting area. I really liked the format of it and read it for about 10 mins before they came back out.

I'm happy with the recommendation of course, as they know what they are going.

Repair, clean, new IRIS and re-calibrate.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Canon EF-S 17-85 Err01 being fixed

There's definitely a lesson to be learned there Paul!
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
      There's definitely a lesson to be learned there Paul!
      Yes many lessons that'll take 4 weeks to fester away in my mind lol
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

I disagree with the statement "1. Never buy second hand lenses" just don't buy broken ones and think that you can fix it when you can't.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Look forward to seeing some photo's taken with the refurb'ed lens Paul, might get mine fixed if it's worth it though I bought it for £165 with loads of filters; not too much of a bargain there.

I too am in two minds about 2nd hand lenses, I suppose it's down to budget.

TomB
          Am I qualified to comment on others!

Canon EOS-60D - EF 24-105mm f4
          L IS USM - Tamron Adaptall2 500mm f/8 with 2x converter - Meike Speedlight MK950 - LEE Filters: professional kit, ND Grad (hard) .3 .6 .9, Coral 4 hard grad & cir-pol 105 - CarrySpeed sling.

Tom Bennett Photography on Flickr

Comment

I would never buy secondhand lenses off Average Joe Public on ebay. You can never tell if they've got fungus inside, and there's no fallback if it arrives with any, or some damage.

However, I have bought lenses and cameras off one particular trader I would happily recommend to anyone. They check all equipment before it is sold. They photograph it (closely, too) from every angle and those 12 close-ups are on the item's ebay page, meaning you see the exact item you're getting. In detail. It's as good as examining it yourself.
            On top of that, they replace for free if damaged/broken on arrival (had it happen once, replaced lens without fuss). And free postage. And a 7-day money-back if you change your mind. Fast, too - even with free postage I receive the items within 2 days.

The seller's name is alldigital0869 and they trade under the name of The Photographer's Bag.

The owner is
            Tracey Fredericks
            Dudley
            West Midlands
            ebay@thephotographersbag.co.uk
            0121 559 3650
            They also have a 99.9% feedback, with sales of 44,427. I really can't recommend them highly enough.

A bit late for you, Paul, but 17-85 is £169 there. Worth bearing in mind for anything Canon.

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by NickM; 24-05-2013, 02:46.
            I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
            X