Wide Angle on a FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wide Angle on a FF

Yes, life's too short to Photoshop out a tripod (or monopod, for that matter, which is how I did my first ever panorama test with the 8-15)... even with Content Aware Fills - they are so tough at the lower edge of a pano as everything is so distorted and needs to stay that way. Also if you Photoshop stuff out the panorama isn't reproducible, if you see something else you want to fix later.

John

P.S. find any cotton yet? Know what the colour was?

P.P.S. if you are feeling dizzy maybe zoom around a bit more slowly :-)
    Last edited by DrJon; 29-05-2013, 21:02.

Comment

Couldn't spot the cotton John but... on the image from the bridge I could see something around where I expect your feet were.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Very impressive.

Tom

Comment

Thanks!

P.S. my feet don't appear in the London Bridge shot, if you look closely there is a tiny bit of lens flare and a tiny bit of the shadow of the very tip of the lens... (remember I didn't Photoshop it to remove/hide stuff, it's just a blend of four images). You shouldn't go looking for teeny details though, just enjoy... :-)
          Last edited by DrJon; 29-05-2013, 20:08.

Comment

I am now even more amazed!
            Colin

Comment

I'm not really a fan of pointing out errors, although in this case I'm happy it's there to remind me of how I went about everything...
              If you open this panorama:

Then look straight down there is a circular depression in the ground that I used as my centre point marker. Zoom in for cotton and bolt (slightly blended).
              John

Comment

John,

That's gobsmackingly impressive.
                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Whatever, it's brilliant. To the untrained eye, seamless. Superb work.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I'd agree Wayne, the 17-40F4L is a good compromise for landscapes, I'd be a bit hesitant regarding primes (and this is from someone who loves using primes), the difficulty I found, that once I'd got my tripod set-up , level etc, with a prime on the camera , I then needed to start moving the tripod around, to get the composition I wanted, with a zoom, you can tweak the zoom to get the same result, without moving the tripod. So I went from zooms to primes and quickly back to zooms again for landscape shots.
                    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

BTW today (or yesterday, if you don't get to this post all that quickly, or ... - you get the theory) is the last day for Canon's Spring Cashback, which includes several of the wide-angles:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM - £160 Cashback
                      EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - £80 Cashback
                      EF 17-40mm f/4L USM - £80 Cashback
                      EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM - £235 Cashback
                      EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM - £155 Cashback
                      EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM - £235 Cashback
                      EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM - £80 Cashback

Although perhaps a touch late notice if you want to think about it a bit first. BTW my £155 cheque hasn't turned up yet...
                      Oh, and none of these are in the Summer cash-back, there's no L lenses in it at all.

John

Comment

BTW I did do a Panorama at 12mm (on the 8-15, so it isn't just "8 or 15" after all)...

I think the main things I learned were:

(i) It's very useful to take a fifth shot aiming downwards as you have less overlap at ground level and it's harder to get rid of shadows.

(ii) Don't EVER do Spherical Panoramas with cable cars in them unless you can get all the wires in one shot. The cars move all the time and as they move the wires move. A nightmare to stitch.

P.S. still don't have the cashback for the lens :-(
                        Now also waiting for a printer cashback too... won't hold my breath...
                        Last edited by DrJon; 19-06-2013, 13:13.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                          P.S. still don't have the cashback for the lens :-(
                          Now also waiting for a printer cashback too... won't hold my breath...
                          Spring cashbacks due 'to be in the post' 28th June so I'm told.

Comment

I got an e-mail on 6th June saying they had problems and there would be a delay (I had a e-mail saying my payment was approved on 10th May) then I received a message on 14th June saying "the cheque is in the post...". Since it didn't come today I'm guessing they have found a service even slower than second class...

BTW they said they used "regular post" and to allow up to 14 working days for delivery.

I see bank transfer is the only option for the summer cashbacks... I'm not holding my breath though...

Comment

Have you considered the new 24-70 f4 ?

Comment

Originally posted by DanFlag View Post
                                Have you considered the new 24-70 f4 ?
                                Dan thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't think it offers anything over the 24-105, except less reach. And really I want wider. I'm now seriously considering the 17mm TSE. :-O
                                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Working...
                                X