24-105L series IS lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-105L series IS lens

Contemplating buying this lens for a forthcoming trip to Australia. (Camera is 5D Mk.2 FF) Some reviews and comments read indicate that this lens has some 'problems', e.g. dust intrusion, 'soft' around the edges, etc. Are these and others really an issue, or is it just because it is a 'popular' L series lens, with probably more in use than other ranges?
    Retail prices vary widely, with many 'whitebox' sales advertised as well. I don't have a problem with whitebox, but do prefer Canon UK supplied outlets. Has anyone experience of 'procamerashop' on the Internet? Are there stocks 'grey' or UK sourced?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Quentin

Re: 24-105L series IS lens

My wife bought mine (birthday gift) from Procamerashop in Carlilse and it arrived in a Canon retail box. I'm assuming that it's an import, but I haven't actually checked.

When the package first arrived with Jill, she noticed that the Canon box was slightly damaged, being concerned that the lens may also be damaged, she took pics of the box and contacted Procamerashop. They checked the pics and told her to return the lens and sent a replacement. Jill wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I haven't noticed any problems with dust, or softness at the edges, but I have seen CA under certain condition, i.e along the edges of tree branches against bright skies. For me the lens seems sharper around f/8 with landscapes.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

On a ff there are 3 'standard' lens which I would recommend:

17-40/f4
      24-105/f4
      70-300L

The most useful for standard use is is the 24-105 - an excellent lens
      ef-r

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to endorse the 24-105, it's a fabulous lens at a (relatively) bargain price. I've not read of any edge softness, but I know they're prone to PCB connector faults after extensive use.

As for grey-importing, that's down to you. I've bought imports, and I've bought UK stock. The question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to embrace the cumbersome warranty repair process if your new lens fails? Is the saving worthwhile? Considering that the reliability of Canon equipment is very good, and savings can be huge, then it's probably worthwhile so long as your income isn't dependant on the equipment and you can afford to be without it for an extended period.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I endorse Brian and SJP 150%.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I would highly recommend the 24-105mm lens - mines over 3 years old and has taken plenty of pictures. It's my standard walkabout lens. Still as clean inside as the day it was first used and takes a cracking picture.

TTFN,
            Neil
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Thanks guys for all these positive remarks and recommendations, it is appreciated! I should perhaps have said that I already have a 24-70 2.8 L, but want something with a bigger range and LESS WEIGHT for lugging around the world!
              I am particularly pleased that I have received no negative comments - at least so far!
              Quentin

Comment

I would recommend the new 70-300mm L lens in that case. That would cover you for most eventualities and is a reasonable price, too. That's going to be my next purchase, in the not to distant future.

TTFN,
                Neil
                Neilly's Flickr Page
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                Facebook
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

The 24-105mm f/4.0 is my most used lens. I have used "Procamerashop" no problems; you just save money!

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
                    I would recommend the new 70-300mm L lens in that case. That would cover you for most eventualities and is a reasonable price, too. That's going to be my next purchase, in the not to distant future.

TTFN,
                    Neil
                    Thanks for that Neil, but the intention is NOT to take the 24-70 with me on this trip, thus the 70-300 would be too long (and heavy) on its own! I already have a 70-300IS (non L), and that wont be going on the trip either.
                    Quentin

Comment

I’ve had my 24-105 for several years. The lens has been back to Canon once for repair when I kept getting an Error 01. The diaphragm assembly had to be replaced. If you Google 24-105L diaphragm you’ll find quite a few references. It’s still an excellent walkabout lens to have on your camera and Canon may have sorted out any problem on newer lenses by now.

Comment

I recall two problems with the very early ones. The diaphragm assembly and a problem with the black internal coating that resulted in a little fogging/flare under certain conditions. These were generally all sorted very quickly, very few exhibited any issues and later models don't have any inherent problems that I am aware of.
                        Colin

Comment

I have used the 24-105mm L lens in conjunction with a 5D2 and it was a perfect marriage.
                          A great walkabout lens on a FF camera.
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I've just ordered this lens as my first piece of 'L' glass from simply electronics £514.95.
                            Chris
                            Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Another 24-105 supporter here.
                              Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                              EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Working...
                              X