Removing dust from lenses - for the very brave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing dust from lenses - for the very brave

Remember Roger's an expert. I'd be tempted to say "don't do this at home" but if you do don't blame me if it ends in tears...
    I get asked about 15 times a week, "How can I get the dust out of my lens?" The right answer is you don't. All lenses have dust in them and it doesn't affect the images at all 99% of the time. Even if you clean it all out, it will be back after you [...]

I'd say view this more as an article on lens construction and what experts can do to get rid of dust.
    Last edited by DrJon; 14-06-2013, 09:53.

Re: Removing dust from lenses - for the very brave

Brilliant ............. and I am dumb enough to try that, but thankfully I don't need to.
    Colin

Comment

Wow, that's a keeper that link. A few weeks ago I had a slight problem, two rings of my Sigma 500 f4.5 had a little loose space, not even 1mm, but that was enough to bother me.

I know that with my with Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS you can adjust a screw by lifting the rubber band, it happened to a friend of mine but never with my lens. So I looked at my Sigma 500, no screws?!?!!?

I tought "there might be one inside". Being at the race track i did not have the proper tools so I went to a team I know well to borrow "little electronic screwdriver", went back to the press room and started opening it.

Surely there is was, the 'thightening' screw I was looking for.

I made my own 'repair' and was very proud to get back on track with a lens I had confidence in.

969618_10151965355683378_922039987_n.jpg

Now it's has clean as it can 600724_10151983440278378_1294480462_n.jpg and I had a blast at Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix ; http://www.flagworld.com/photos/v/2013/2013-06-09/

Comment

Whoa, that looks well scary!

Comment

Working...
        X