Which extender for 200mm f2.8 L lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which extender for 200mm f2.8 L lens

Am considering buying an extender for my Canon 200mm f2.8 L lens for wildlife, including bird photography. I realise a longer focal length lens would be best but a compromise is necessary due to cost and weight limitations. The Canon extenders are too expensive and I have to consider alternatives. Wonder if anyone has used Kenko or Sigma extenders? I need to check their suitability for my lens somehow and if auto focus is maintained. Do I ask Canon, Sigma or Kenko about suitability?
    Roy

Re: Which extender for 200mm f2.8 L lens

On an f2.8 I think even a 2x extender with retain autofocus on most if not all Canon bodies.
    I'm actually starting to think about a Sigma 2x myself, approx 200-250$ on eBay.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have said that I use an EOS 600D.

Comment

Both the Canon 1.4x and 2x Extenders will work with the 200mm L f2.8 and they will both autofocus okay (as DanFlag said). It's lenses that only open to f4 of less that have issues. For 1.4x you could perhaps consider the mk II version if you can find one for sale (probably need to be used). I'm afraid I can't help on the non-Canon extenders, hopefully others can...

Comment

I use a Canon 1.4 TC on a 200 F2.8L on my 7D as a 'walkabout' lens when I'm out with my dog. It works exceptionally well (it's the MKII version). I did use a sigma 1.4TC for a while, and it was pretty good, but lost a smidgen of IQ when used on such a sharp lens as the 200 F2.8L.
          The Sigma 2.0TC was pretty poor compared to the Canon 2.0TC

My preference (same as DrJon) would be to go for the Canon 1.4TC (MKII) a good S/H version seems to be around a similar price to a Sigma 1.4TC
          Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
          Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

If your going to buy an extender try and match the make (Canon to Canon, Sigma to a Sigma) I used to have a Sigma x1.4 which i used on all my F2.8 lenses,With the Canon lenses images looked a little soft, but paired with my Sigma 120-300 it was spot on with no loss of image quality, so if you can stretch to a canon x1.4mkii it would be of greater benefit to you.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I use the same 'walkabout' set up as Les and find it works very well.

Dave
              www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Working...
              X