First impressions with the 70-200 2.8L IS II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First impressions with the 70-200 2.8L IS II

I haven't stopped mentioning buying this monolithic lens. Not because I knew its size, but how its perceived in the real world. I had high expectations for it.

I own a Canon 7D as most of you know, because I too have hardly shut up about that. I felt the pairing would be a great match based on what the majority of people write.

"L glass is the best thing you can do for a 7D"
    "The 7D demands pro glass to get the best out of it"

70-200 2.8L is ii usm on a canon 7d by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

As you can see, its pretty MASSIVE on the 7D. It almost dwarfs it. Having spent about 10 mins shooting with it at work, I spent less time snapping and more time explaining that I cannot see up their nostrils despite it's size.

I've only taken a couple of shots of work colleagues in and around the school so nothing really to base anything solid on, but I'm largely impressed with the IQ. Focus speed is unlike anything I've witnessed and I fear now that anything else is just going to be substandard.

The weight (1.5kg) is going to be an issue. It's pretty heavy, and I reckon as soon as you have a slight hint of fatigue, you're going to feel it with this slung over your shoulder, or even holding it in your hand.

I'm hoping to get out with it this afternoon on my usual lunchtime walk.

One thing that dawned on me, was an overwhelming sense of "This is too pro for me" However, I'm sure that will fall away over time.

My over all niggling feeling is that while the 7D is an absolute beast, I can't help but feel that this focal range and what this lens is ideally for, would be suited on a FF body. 70mm (112mm on crop) at the short end is tight, and 200mm (320mm on crop) isn't quite far enough. However on FF your FOV would be expanded a lot more.

Maybe too early to tell whether I'm going to keep it or not, but I'm sure going to give it a run for its money.

I'll keep you updated, for those like me, who found that info on real world use was a little lacking on the net.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: First impressions with the 70-200 2.8L IS II

You get use to the mass. The only time I found it tiring was attached to my dear departed 7D shooting Cowes Week for 4 hours from a small bobbing boat last year. Otherwise I find it okay. So enjoy it to its full!

Comment

One cannot get over the age factor or weight issue. I have always bought equipment nowdays looking at the weight side of things and hence I kept well away from the 70-200m f2.8 lenses and similar. One must enjoy one's photography and not be a slave to equipment, however desireable some of them are. I know of a few people who have bought heavy,excellent, lenses and after using it for a "few outings" it seems to rest in their camera bags for long periods of time. That is a ridiculous waste of money IMHO.The weight factor was the main reason I sold my excellent 300mm f4 lens. Perhaps at 1200grms it might be a better bet for you than your present purchase. You should be COMFORTABLE with your equipment.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
        You get use to the mass. The only time I found it tiring was attached to my dear departed 7D shooting Cowes Week for 4 hours from a small bobbing boat last year. Otherwise I find it okay. So enjoy it to its full!
        I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. The tripod collar takes some getting used to and with it off, exposes these little screw heads that I dare not get dirty.

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        One cannot get over the age factor or weight issue. I have always bought equipment nowdays looking at the weight side of things and hence I kept well away from the 70-200m f2.8 lenses and similar. One must enjoy one's photography and not be a slave to equipment, however desireable some of them are. I know of a few people who have bought heavy,excellent, lenses and after using it for a "few outings" it seems to rest in their camera bags for long periods of time. That is a ridiculous waste of money IMHO.The weight factor was the main reason I sold my excellent 300mm f4 lens. Perhaps at 1200grms it might be a better bet for you than your present purchase. You should be COMFORTABLE with your equipment.
        I agree you need to be comfy as it helps you get the shots you need. I just need to eat my porridge from now on lol
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Don't forget to take the Spinach as well
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Very jealous of you Paul, you've now got just the lens I've aspired to ever since getting back into photography! It's a huge investment

I'm sure that the weight, once you get used to it, won't be a problem - after all it's a small price to pay for what this particular piece of glass gives you in terms of autofocus and image quality.

I find that weight is something which I quickly come to accept, and after using my Siggy 150-500 (1.8kg) or a gripped 6D for 6 hours a day for three consecutive days recently (and walking a total of almost 20 miles) I didn't feel any ill-effects. Just make sure you have a decent wide (and secure) strap. I prefer to use the ubiquitous Op/Tech sling strap which I connect to both the camera and the lens' tripod collar for security and balance rather than the standard canon offering which I see you have.

It's interesting what you have to say about it's field of view on a crop body though, I'd always been a lover of the 70-200's back in the day, but the range hadn't got my juices flowing to the same degree since turning digital. Perhaps, as you've astutely pointed out, it's range is better suited to full-frame where its a fabulous short-mid tele lens that a crop sensor camera where it's mid-mildly long.

I hope you get the opportunity to give it a decent trial over the coming days
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I've a nice wee walk now over lunch being looked at from all over as it tends to draw a crowd. It's super responsive, and I'll be uploading a few street style shots in a bit. However, it's just crazy good. Zoom ring is tight but not too tight, fingers on the collar and zoom with your thumb easily. AF is lightening quick even at 1.2 to infinity. It almost feels like your loading a bullet to fire.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

My work are bugging my brain today so I could only fire off one edit for now.

Funky Pigeon by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

To say I'm delighted with everything about the lens IQ is an understatement. I could literally use the jpgs right out the camera if I needed to

WOW
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Its a corker of a lens aint it ... !!
                  [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
                    Its a corker of a lens aint it ... !!
                    Totally! Just need better things to take pics of now :)
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

I can't speak from experience for the 70D other than it appears to me to be an awesome camera, but this is my favourite of all lenses, Paul, and congratulations on buying it! Whatever reservations you might have had will soon disappear, I can promise you.

As to weight, my preference is to use the Canon wrist grip which allows me to carry the camera/lens combo around like a gun regardless the lens (up to 200mm) - it clears lots of paths when I attach the 70-200, for sure, but it still feels like a reasonable weight hanging from my hand as opposed to a bouncing weight around my neck or over my shoulder! And security-wise it's a good option too.

Enjoy it, Paul. As you say, the IQ is amazing, I read somewhere that only the new 200-400x1.4 is better. I love your photos already and you just gave yourself the means to take it up another notch.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMackie View Post
                        I can't speak from experience for the 70D other than it appears to me to be an awesome camera, but this is my favourite of all lenses, Paul, and congratulations on buying it! Whatever reservations you might have had will soon disappear, I can promise you.

As to weight, my preference is to use the Canon wrist grip which allows me to carry the camera/lens combo around like a gun regardless the lens (up to 200mm) - it clears lots of paths when I attach the 70-200, for sure, but it still feels like a reasonable weight hanging from my hand as opposed to a bouncing weight around my neck or over my shoulder! And security-wise it's a good option too.

Enjoy it, Paul. As you say, the IQ is amazing, I read somewhere that only the new 200-400x1.4 is better. I love your photos already and you just gave yourself the means to take it up another notch.

Andy
                        Thanks for that Andy really appreciate that :)

I didn't know the IQ was on par with the 200-400. That's believable regardless.

Weight was ok walking about actually, it's well balanced in the hand, and totally safe hanging over my shoulder. It does get some weird looks and even a whole load of workmen started posing for a laugh as I was passing.

I think the perception is that you are some big photog as this colour of lens is well seen on the tele
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMackie View Post
                          you just gave yourself the means to take it up another notch.

Andy
                          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Well done Paul Great bit of kit.

You'll soon forget about the weight/color/and everybody looking at you over time, at the end of the day it a tool to do a job and what a bloody great job it will do!! enjoy.

Paul
                            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

It looks like you're off to a grand start Paul, I'm sure you'll get years of pleasure from your purchase!
                              Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                              http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                              https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Working...
                              X