300mm f2.8L IS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300mm f2.8L IS

Seriously thinking about this lens for birds, wildlife etc on a full frame body, and also 1.4x extender ( possibly 2x extender later ). Anything I need to know about performance IQ etc.All the reviews appear OK, but was wanting the opinion of real people who use them. Thanks in advance folks.
    My Website

Re: 300mm f2.8L IS

It has to be in the top five lenses that were ever produced by Canon, I have one and would never sell it. It works very well to with the 1.4 extender. It will also hold it's value if ever you do decide to sell.
    Papa.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Papa. As I said, real peoples opinions count for more than the reviewers opinions.
      My Website

Comment

The 300mm f2.8 and the 500mm f4 are the "no brainers" for wildlife. Fast, quick to focus, easy to lock on and keep tracking, light enough to hand hold and razor sharp.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Sounds good Colin. Does it fare well with the extenders do you know, particularly the 1.4x. Would love the 500 but can't afford it I'm afraid.
          Last edited by Bobby Canon; 23-01-2010, 11:51. Reason: Adding text
          My Website

Comment

The 300mm f2.8 L IS is the perfect companion for a 1.4x. No apparent loss of quality at all.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I think I am convinced. I will probably have the funds for it in 2 or 3 weeks time. Then I need to get permission of my personal financial advisor ( A.K.A. my wife :) )
              My Website

Comment

Aaaagh .............. the "She Who Must Be Obeyed"! I have one of those.

Unless you have just bought her an expensive outfit, or put in a new kitchen very recently, then 2 or 3 weeks may be a bit short notice. I have known it done in that time, but they were far more skilled in the dark female arts than I.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

I wonder if a bunch of Daffs will do the trick.....I know how to treat a lady hee hee
                  My Website

Comment

How very seasonal, hee, hee.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Bobby,

The 5 images in my album here, were all taken with the subject lens c/w Canon EF 2x Extender. The three of the swans are 10-15% off the full frame (EOS 5DII) about 80 metres distant and the other two were at 20 metres and 4 metres distance respectively. See http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/album.php?albumid=69

I see you are from NE UK, if that's anywhere near Dundee, you may be able to have a go of mine as I should be free for the next 2-3 weeks. Let me know.
                      Bob Turner
                      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Thanks for showing me those images. They look good. I am afraid that I am near to Whitby, so a long way from you, but many thanks for your most generous offer. I have been given permission from my wife to buy it, but there is now the added dilemna of perhaps needing to change my car.. and I cannot afford both. Have also just retired early, so money may be at a premium. However, my wife (God bless her) is insisting I buy the lens as a reward to myself for finally taking the plunge and getting out of the "Rat-Race" ha ha. Will make my mind up over the next 2 or 3 weeks. Thank you again.
                        Bob
                        My Website

Comment

1. There's always the long lost and distant "Aunty" deceased and you are the sole benefactor of her largesse

2. Small Lottery win??

regards

Nigel

Comment

I think I am looking beyond the small lottery win, and am eying up a LARGE win hee hee.
                            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Canon View Post
                              I think I am looking beyond the small lottery win, and am eying up a LARGE win hee hee.
                              Enters Canon Pro shop:

"Can I help you sir?"

"Errr, Yes ............... one of each please!"

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X