Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenses for Bass Rock?

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of making the trip to bass rock in the summer; could anyone give me pointers as to which lenses to take for frame filling shots of gannets? I will be taking the 17-40/24-105 for the wider stuff but do i need to take the 500 or will a 300 + 1.4x do the job; how close can you get? Went to the farnes last year and left the 500 at home and the 300 done ok.

Regards
    Steve

Re: Lenses for Bass Rock?

I am thinking of doing the same at the end of March, but I just couldn't leave the 500mm at home. It always delivers something special and is more than worth the extra weight and inconvenience.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I know what you mean Colin, and i thought that about the farnes; i asked on a few different forums and everyone said that the 300 with 1.4x will do; and it did, would i have taken the 500 and tripod if i had an assistant to help carry it all?? of course i would, i guess thats the downside of leaving the wife at home.....?~##....300 it is then :o)

Regards
      Steve

Comment

Don't know much about Bass Rock? Not even sure I have heard of it. However, I am booked to visit Galapagos Islands later in the year- after August. The lenses I have are the EF 75mm-300mm USM iii, EF-S 55mm-250mm IS, EF 28mm-105mm USM & EF-S 18mm- 55mm plus of course flash + smaller accessories like a 2x Sigma Convertor,polarising filter- a must for me. I am happy to take two zoom lenses with me as I don't believe in carting a load of glass. I will take two camera bodies- 350d & 450d. What would my well educated and experienced members recommend.(Weight is a problem for me due to my personal health considerations!)
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I prefer the quality of the EFS 55 - 250mm over the 75 - 300mm, but the 75 - 300mm has a little extra reach. I also think that quality starts to suffer with a 2x converter, but a 1.4x or 1.5x you would be pushed to notice the difference in quality. However, from the kit you have and keeping the weight to a minimum, I would suggest the following:

Both bodies

EFS 18 - 55mm

EFS 55 - 250mm IS

2x (or preferably 1.4x)

Flash

Add a small lightwieght tripod to the above. One that will fit inside your luggage and you will find that quite useful. There are always maybe half a dozen shots from a trip that I just couldn't have got without a tripod. You haven't mentioned ND Grads, if you haven't got any, they can also be very useful.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin. Thats a good idea. I have a tripod and ND grads, which I will take. I am told that wild life are not frightened of human beings on Galapagos islands and come quite close.
            I forgot to mention that I also have an Olympus SP-570UZ digital compact with a range of 26mm- 540mm. I usually take this with me for family gatherings and other homely events as it is small and compact. However, this is a brilliant compact and it's pictures are very nice with superb colour rendering. So I could take this instead of one of the camera bodies (350d) - to lighten my load. The lens selection etc are fine. I also had the sneaking feeling that the EF-S 55mm-250mm IS lens was marginally better than the 75mm-300mm in terms of definition.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nathaniel,
              You obviously like wildlife so you may want to Google Bass Rock.

Its a big lump of rock sticking up out of the Firth of Forth. Fab for gannets etc from the boat trips that go close to the island. As seen on Springwatch a while ago.

Comment

Hughbie,

Will do. I like the sound of it.I can recollect Springwatch .... Talking about Gannets, you might also like to visit St.Davids in Pembrokeshire.(West Wales). There you can get a boat trip to some of the islands around- you can see Minke whales, Dolphins, and many others on the way, and there is Grassholm which is the largest nesting rock for gannets. I go to St Davids often- I own some time shares there, and spend time out. A marvellous place, very quiet, and more important very restful. Highly recommended. If you are interested I can organise some brochures for you. I know that Scotland also has some lovely places for nature/wild life lovers like me.

Comment

Thanks Nathaniel,

I have a cottage between St Davids and Fishguard, so do get down there a lot, when its not rented out.

Also huge starling roost nr Hayscastle Cross in winter. Peregrines and Choughs on coastal path.
                  Last edited by hughbie; 27-01-2010, 08:12. Reason: removed link to our holiday cottage - thought it was a cheesy thing to do

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
                    Thanks Nathaniel,

I have a cottage between St Davids and Fishguard, so do get down there a lot, when its not rented out.

Also huge starling roost nr Hayscastle Cross in winter. Peregrines and Choughs on coastal path.
                    Yes, I know that. I am also very glad that we are singing from the same hymn sheet. West Wales is a wonderful place for nature lovers. Even Holiday Which? recommends it for those who love wild life.

Apart from Bass Rock, how is Shetland Islands for wild life? Any first hand experience?

Comment

Working...
                    X