Clear All

Stumped on wide to medium zoom choice.

The lenses I use with my 7D are those I used with my film EOS cameras:

Canon EF 28 mm f2.8
    Canon EF 50 mm f1.8
    Canon EF 35-105 mm f3.5-4.5
    Canon EF 100-300 mm f5.6
    ? 500 mm f8 mirror lens

While the 35-105 was a great ‘walking about’ lens and the 28mm OK for wide-angle they’re not really wide enough with a cropped sensor DSLR so I need something else.

What I want is good wide-angle for landscapes, fast enough for good bokeh and long enough for portrait.

With a budget of around £400 (second-hand is OK) I created this shortlist from info gleaned by reading past posts here and online reviews:

Canon EF-S IS USM 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6
    Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55 mm F/2.8 IS USM

I know lots of you love the 15-85 and it did seem ideal to me too except I read the IQ at 15mm is not great and it’s a bit slow for decent bokeh.

The 17-55 is highly regarded with good bokeh and low light ability but a bit too short for portrait.

I’m leaning towards the 17-55 and maybe use my old EF 35-105 for portraits but that’s also a bit slow and I do like the one lens solution so is the 15-85 a better ‘do it all’ bet despite the issues at 15mm?

Anything else I ought to consider?

Cheers,
    John

Re: Stumped on wide to medium zoom choice.

I have had the Canon 15-85mm lens and I must say that it is a very good lens. I only sold it when I bought the Canon 24-105mm f4L lens. So I would without hestitation recommend the 15-85mm lens.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Another vote for the 15-85
      I've never had a problem with IQ at the wide end

Mike
      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

BTW, This was taken at 15mm on the 70D

Autumn, River Tummel by mike.stephen99, on Flickr
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

OK chaps, thanks for the comments, I'm convinced so there will be a 15/85 coming this was soon.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

The 17-55 is equivalent to 27-88 on a FF camera so longer than my 85/1.2 portrait lens. Also very sharp. Not as wide as the 15-85 (where the problem is more distortion at the wide end, rather than lack of sharpness IMHO), but as the nights draw in the extra light gathering can really help. The extra weight not so much...

Comment

A bit late to the party on this one, but when I had the 7D, I used the Sigma 18-55 f/2.8 EX lens, and the build and IQ was excellent.

On the 7D this equated to 28-88mm which made it a very useful everyday lens.

Here's an image taken with the 7D and this lens:

Dave

Barbary Ape by Dave_S2, on Flickr
              Last edited by Dave_S; 04-11-2013, 23:04.
              Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, that's a nice sharp image with good bokeh (and he reminds me of someone I used to work with!).

I did buy the 15-85 and am generally pleased with it although I haven't had much of a chance to use it at its widest nor any portrait work yet so I don't know if concerns about IQ at 15mm or the relatively slow aperture will concern me.

That said I still think I'd like a 2.8 zoom in my bag and maybe something even wider than 15mm so will have a think on what my options are. This could get very expensive.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Its a 'she' John, she is 30 years old, and lives on the Rock of Gibraltar

Quote: "This could get expensive"

Is it ever any other way with this hobby John

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X